Flashcard sentence package?

A

abdrifter

I just wonder, would it be a big deal to fleece a dictionary like Pleco or Tuttle of some or, better, all of its example sentences, and make them available in a flashcard list? A list of say around 10000, or somewhere in that neighborhood?

A

abdrifter

Oh, like a "tap to add" kind of feature? that would be absolutely fantabulous! (actually, it just happens to be my other intelligent idea) :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well now that we've got them all nicely tagged for the SENTS tab / text-to-speech, it's sort of an obvious next step :)

A

abdrifter

Now it's all beginning to make sense. :D Let me step out on a limb here, would you also make this feature available from within Reader? - That would be amazing; I would then officially ditch this other flashcard program I've been using.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Trickier in the reader since we don't have all of the pinyin / translation data available yet - have to generate that stuff ourselves. Which we'd like to do but as it's quite a challenge it probably won't happen until after we've finished the first few major flashcard updates.

A

abdrifter

Take your time! Anyway, it's good to know which way it's going.
I understand the big deal with pinyin/translation, but was actually thinking of adding a particular sentence by itself, no pinyin and no translation necessary; just having TTS to go with it should already be plenty in this method of learning. I actually don't think there's any need for a translation to a sentence from a text I myself "volunteered" to read/memorize. The idea being, of course, is that of not drilling translating skills, but of using Flashcard's SRS to help in language acquisition. But maybe I'm taking all of this too far. Great work so far!

A

abdrifter

Say that again, I'd be counting hours if I knew when that update will be made for grabs :D.