Flashcard enhancements: collapsable examples; unmask headword even if 字 is enabled

etm001

状元
Hi,

Two flashcard enhancement requests:
  • Provide expand/collapse controls for dictionary example sentences. Allow this to be set by default in test settings (i.e., expand by default, collapsed by default).
  • When 字 is enabled, unmask the flashcard character(s) so that you can tap-select the character(s) without first having to disable 字. (I often want to view the bound form of a character, but often have 字 enabled).
Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Toggle button for examples makes sense, yes.

Re your other suggestion, wouldn't this leave very little space for drawing? (at least on a pre-2014 iPhone)

etm001

状元
wouldn't this leave very little space for drawing? (at least on a pre-2014 iPhone)

I use an iPad the majority of the time when testing flashcards - I forgot about the iPhone entirely. I'm guessing you don't want to make phablet/tablet specific features, so I can live with it. (Unless you just made it a configurable test setting, but I doubt anyone else has requested this before.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... how big are your sketches, usually? I've actually been wondering whether in our flashcard test UI revamp it might make sense to give the iPad a dedicated sketch area rather than overlaying the definition - seems like there'd be plenty of room for it.

etm001

状元
I tend to have large handwriting.

There are a lot of factors that affect the available writing space (i.e., blank space in which no definition is being displayed):
  • # of characters in headword / phrase (plus corresponding pinyin)
  • headword / definition font size (mine are set to 60, 22 respectively)
  • number of entries in the definition
  • example sentences (if any and enabled)
Having said all that, the majority of the time I usually have enough space to write, as most entries have short definitions. I recently enabled example sentences, which can decrease the available space by a lot, even for entries that have short definitions (hence the expand/collapse request). Generally speaking, I've noticed that if there are ~4+ characters in the headword, the available space in which to write starts to feel cramped. (Even more so if the characters also have a lot of strokes).

Previously I've suggested that when using my iPad in landscape mode, the correct/incorrect buttons could be slimmed down (or displayed in some other creative way) to gain more screen real estate, and I still think that's worth considering.

If you are going to create a dedicated sketch area, then you run the risk of someone saying, "Oh, the sketch area is not big enough for me, can you make it bigger?"

One thought I had was to simply add a control that collapses/expands the entire entry (but not the headword and pinyin). So if the entry and/or example sentences are short, then I may have enough blank screen real estate in which to write. And if not, I can quickly hide the entry and practice my writing, etc.