Flashcard doesn't show the full definition

solidusx3

Hello,

I've been using and loving Pleco for a few weeks and have one small problem I haven't been able to figure out yet.

As an example, I have created a new flashcard for kou3 (口) using the Tuttle Learner's dictionary entry. When viewing this entry via the dictionary, I can see it has two definitions.

1) noun - mouth
2) measure word - (for members of a family)

However when I view the flashcard, only the top definition (noun - mouth) appears.

In this particular case, I was already familiar with the mouth meaning of 口 from prior Japanese study, but did not know this was a measure word for members of a family. I'm looking for a way to display the 2nd definition by itself, or a way to display both definitions in my flashcard, but have had no luck with any settings so far.

Does anyone know if it is possible choose a sub-definition to display in flashcards, or at the very least display the full definition?

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd, I just tried this here and the full definition seemed to come up correctly. Are you using the latest version of Pleco (3.2.12 or 13 - check the bottom of Settings) and the latest version of the Tuttle database (check Add-ons / Updated)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually you don't even need that for this Tuttle entry, the content is part of the basic definition.

Shun

状元
I tried it on my device, too. There, the example sentences were hidden when "Defn only" was selected. (Which is expected behavior, of course.) I know, perhaps he meant something different, I'm just trying to rule out all possibilities. :)

Last edited:

solidusx3

Well I'm glad to hear this seems to be a problem and likely a Settings problem, but I still haven't found a fix yet.

I was using 3.2.12 and just upgraded to the latest .13 beta, but no change. The Tuttle Dictionary was just recently installed and there are no updates available. This happens with all dictionaries anyway.

My Flashcards > Display > Definitions is set to Defns + Exes. I tried Defns + Exes +Links, but did not see any change.

I'm going to upload screenshots showing the difference between the flashcard entry and dictionary entry, along with my exported settings xml file.

solidusx3

Screenshot_2015-07-30-00-37-06.png

Screenshot_2015-07-30-00-37-18.png

Attachments

• settingsbackup-1507300037.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 423

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that's the problem - Card Info only shows a preview of the first few lines of the card. If you want to review cards via Organize Cards, long-press the first card you want to view and choose "View as Dict Entry" - that will bring up the entire text in the definition screen instead of partial text in Card Info.

solidusx3

OK thanks for the explanation mike. I just verified now during the flashcard test that both definitions appear, so it seems like everything is working fine.

I will use View as Dict Entry if I'm just browsing my cards.

I'm gonna hijack this thread for a quick question: when I add an entry to my flashcards, how do I know which dictionary entry will be used for the flashcard? Is there some kind of default setting?

Shun

状元
It will use the first dictionary in the definition screen; if you want to change it later, you can tap the little down arrow at the top right of another dictionary entry. If you'd like to change which dictionary is at the top, you can move another dictionary to the top of Manage Dictionaries in Settings.