Export Flashcard in Traditional Characters?

dpdb

I am using the GF dictionary to create flashcards and then exporting them to a text file. The definition of the words come out in simplified characters as opposed to the traditional characters that I want. Is there a way to do this? Thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dpdb said:
I am using the GF dictionary to create flashcards and then exporting them to a text file. The definition of the words come out in simplified characters as opposed to the traditional characters that I want. Is there a way to do this? Thank you

It should happen already if Pleco is set to traditional character mode - is it not doing so?

dpdb

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. If I look at the flashcard in the app or use it in the app, it does appear in traditional characters. Once it is exported as a text file, it somehow switches back into simplified characters.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dpdb said:
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. If I look at the flashcard in the app or use it in the app, it does appear in traditional characters. Once it is exported as a text file, it somehow switches back into simplified characters.

Hmm... could be a bug, we haven't actually tested exports from that particular dictionary much because until very recently it wasn't possible to export from it at all due to license restrictions. But checking the code it looks like it should work, so it's a little confusing... If you set Pleco into traditional character mode and then convert a single flashcard from that dictionary into a custom card, does the text of that custom card show up in traditional correctly?

dpdb

Everything works perfectly in Traditional character on my iPad until one opens the exported file. That is the only place where the definition will show up in Simplified characters.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dpdb said:
Everything works perfectly in Traditional character on my iPad until one opens the exported file. That is the only place where the definition will show up in Simplified characters.

Looks like this might indeed be bugged in the current version - sorry about that. We'll fix it in the next update, but in the meantime, the traditional character conversions in GF were all auto-generated (it was originally in simplified and we don't have the resources to convert an entire dictionary to traditional by hand), so any simplified-to-traditional converter utility should be able to give you traditional versions of the definitions that are about as accurate as ours.