Error loop: Pleco version is incompatible with basic data files

RenHK

I am unable to install the basic data files. I just installed Pleco through Google Play on my Android phone, no problem (LG Optimus G Pro).

1. However, when I tried to run it, I was given an error message:
"This new version of Pleco is incompatible with the old version's basic data files; we need to download a new set of files (72.7 MB) from our web server. Would you like to do this now?"

2. If I click "Yes", the phone hangs on a window "Pleco Install" that says "Queued" and a "Cancel" button. Nothing happens.

3. So, instead, I downloaded the basic data files from the Pleco website, and copied it onto my phone via USB connection, and then ran Pleco. I get a "Manual install" window that says: "Pleco found a package containing its required data files... Would you like to install the files from that package now?"

4. I press "Yes" and receive a quickly flashed error message: "Failed, re-downloading", which disappears, and brings up me back to Step 1 above.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Was this a clean install? So you didn't have another copy of Pleco that you installed this on top of? Not sure how the error message would be coming up in that case. What version of Android is your phone running? Stock or unofficial firmware? Are you using an add-on SD card?

This combination of error messages suggests that Pleco is having trouble actually reading / writing files in your phone's storage - the most likely explanation for that would be an Android 4.4 permissions issue, but if you're not running Android 4.4 then it becomes less likely - it could also come from a failing SD card, though.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling Pleco yet?

RenHK

Yes, this was a clean install, with no previous version of Pleco. In fact, a relatively new phone, with Android 4.4.2

RenHK

Just FYI, this was official firmware, (using phone as-is out of the box, unrooted) and I am using an add-on SD card.
Turns out not to have been a permissions issue either.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Got it - could be some sort of corruption in Pleco's directory structure that was preventing it from unpacking the files correctly, I suppose. Anyway glad to hear it's working correctly now.

Adu

Hi,

This problem is still occurring for me. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and downloaded the extra data files onto my computer, but nothing solves the queuing loop and allows me to run the Pleco app. When I download the extra data files, I received a message telling me that the files are outdated and I need to find the current files via pleco.com/androidfiles, but that data file is the only one available on the page.

If anyone could offer me some advice, I would be extremely grateful. Just FYI, I am using Android 4.4.2.

Thanks in advance!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Where did you reinstall the app from? Could you check in the system Settings app under Applications and let me know which version of Pleco it is?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... and just to confirm, you unzipped that file on your computer, then copied the "plecobundle.plc" file inside of it to your SD card? And this is the only "plecobundle.plc" file anywhere on your phone?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Best other explanation I can think of in that case is that the download was corrupted somehow - I just tested the file here and it's definitely the correct file for the current version of the app, so the file on our server is what it's supposed to be. Have you tried downloading it again?

Or it could be that Pleco doesn't have permission to read or write the file - is there any sort of a permission manager on your phone (perhaps it's rooted?) that you can temporarily disable?

Adu

Okay, I figured out the problem: I was downloading the newest version of Pleco, instead of the "old version" that suits my (apparently older model) phone. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks very much for your help today.