English to Chinese flash card bug?

I'm trying to take a flash card test going English to Chinese and getting an error message saying no cards are found. This is happening with multiple sets of cards, both Simple and Spaced Repition. Already tried resetting my profile settings, no luck. Anyone come across this before?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you actually created English-to-Chinese cards? This is different from a test where you see the English definition at first and then reveal the Chinese - with an English-to-Chinese test, you create cards based on English-to-Chinese dictionary entries, so that you might (say) see a single English word first and then reveal a definition with lots of Chinese words for it. (very specialized kind of test, mostly used by translators I believe) So if you want to test in that way you'd need to first go through adding English words from an English-to-Chinese dictionary.

If you just want to see the definition first and then reveal the Chinese, set "Show" in New Test to "Definition" and stick with Chinese-to-English cards.

Thanks for the response, I made this particular list by typing pinyin into the search engine and adding the cards that way, but also tested it with lists that I know I've been able to use as E-C in the past and it didn't work. Already tried the show definition thing as well.

Shun

状元
Do you have "Enable English-to-Chinese" enabled in Settings > Flashcards? Or are there any card filters active? If it still doesn't work, I'd recommend adding the corresponding Chinese-to-English cards from Chinese-to-English dictionaries, then doing the flashcard test with Show: Definition. The difference between E-C and C-E with Show: Definition is that the former gives you one English word with multiple Chinese words as the answer, while the latter gives you all the meanings of one Chinese word and only has this one Chinese word as the answer.

So for regular Chinese learning, C-E with Show: Definition works better, for advanced learners or translators who already know the Chinese words well but wish to recall all the possible Chinese words for one meaning, E-C works better.

Last edited:
I have E-C enabled and don't think I have any filters on, but C-E with show definition works well enough for my purposes. Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Could you email or PM me a copy of your flashcard database? We can double check there if there's something wrong with how your E-C cards are set up.