Don't you just hate those 1-word defs in Chinese coursebks?

Coursebooks written by Chinese are all the same--there's a glossary following each lesson where new terms are defined in English but only according to their context within the lesson. Occasionally the single word def you see in such books is not the most frequently used. Sometimes it's downright misleading.

Such texts never provide separate character def's, nor indicate which characters may be omitted, for example: 应 in 应该: 《你该怎么办?》There's never any frequency data to suggest which terms are more important and which can be overlooked. It's for these reasons that I realized until I could quickly and easily access such data, I'd be wasting time studying which is why I've been searching for an acceptable character frequency list. Given my criticism of the the 5000 most used chinese characters!!!FINISHED, my hope of finding a reasonably representative polygram frequency list are not optimistic at this point.

I'm ultimately hoping to map character data and my flashcards onto such polyram frequency lists as an aid to making the kinds of connections I need to remember individual characters and compounds.