Does PalmOne Tungsten E work well with Mac?

pingguo

I'm new to the world of PDAs. I've just been reading about them over the last few days. I need one solely for the purpose of running Plecodict. My MacBook runs OS X 10.4.9

I'm in Taipei and went to a store to look at the Tungsten E -- the packaging mentions Windows but not Mac OS. (In contrast, the amazon.com description of Tungsten E says that each ships with Mac software.) I notice that you can dowload Palm desktop software for Mac from the Palm.com website. Will this do the trick? Do I even need the Palm desktop software to get plecodict up and running? Has anyone had any other problems? Thanks!

Aunty

举人
Of course, if you don't need to sync it doesn't matter what computer you have. I never bother any more.

I use a backup program, such as InnerBackup, to thoroughly backup everything from the device to the card periodically. (yes I lost the lot once, and restore does work!) Then with an SDCard reader that fits any computer's USB port, I copy each backup to the hard disk of whatever computer (mac or unix) is handy, in case the card fails one day.

I use my palm for PlecoDict and Chinese lesson podcasts. Sync is way too slow for copying bulk podcasts across, so everything gets on and off the PDA via the USB card reader, including text files. If anything that's marginally easier to do on Mac than unix/linux or microsoft systems.

The free program txtMemo is great for text files, it behaves nicely with Chinese if you have CJKOS, and can also copy text from a file anywhere on the card into a memo if you like. While you're at freewarepalm.com, also grab PalmPDF, you'll be glad you did.

I read somewhere that Mac Palm sync used to bungle the encoding of Chinese text in memos, creating unsalvageable text. Maybe that's been fixed in recent years, I don't know, but I've never needed to sync anyway. Life's too short to sync, and interesting enough to need backups.