Dictionary display order with Full-text English search

Eddy

举人
Hi,

I’m trying to get used to the new Pleco 3 (beautiful!) but am still puzzled by one thing. I suspect I’m missing something obvious, nonetheless (and please excuse my ignorance):

How do I get my own user dictionaries to show top of the list when doing a Full-text English search?

For example, when I enter “noodles” into the Search field, press the icon on the right until it shows the Full-text English search icon, then none of the search results shown are from my user dictionaries (I do have an entry for “noodles” in my user dictionaries).

When I press “miantiao” and go to the search results word screen the dictionary order displayed is PLC, CC, ABC, my user dictionaries. My own user dictionaries are not on top.

This puzzles me because in the Settings / Manage Dicts section, in the “Chinese” screen, my user dictionaries are on top, followed by TL, PLC, CC etc.

I did a forum search and looked into the manual but it is not clear to me how to adjust this. What did I miss?

Thanks for any suggestions!

cheers Eddy

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

Did you enable full-text indexing for that user dictionary? You can do it in Settings / Manage Dictionaries - we only added that feature in 3.0 and since it's still a little new / experimental we don't currently activate it by default.

Eddy

举人
Excellent, thank you. With full-text indexing for the user dictionaries enabled the entries now indeed show up in the search results. A great step forward!

About the dictionary display order - how do I get my own user dictionaries to show top of the list when doing a Full-text English search?

In the Settings / Manage Dicts section, in the “Chinese” screen, I have ordered the dictionaries as User Dict1, User Dict2, User Dict3, TL, PLC, CC and then some other dictionaries.

However, in the search results word screen the dictionary order displayed is often User Dict1, PLC, CC and then others.

Shouldn't the search results word screen dictionary order match the Settings / Manage Dicts dictionary order? How may I adjust this?

Thanks again!
cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In full-text searches, we always put the dictionaries that actually contain a match for the word before the ones that don't, so that probably explains the different order.

Eddy

举人
Never mind! Got it to work now. This will make English-Chinese dictionary searches a breeze. Thanks!