"Common Compounds" filter for the iPhone?

j.luengo

Is there a "Common Compounds" filter for the iPhone version of PLECO?
I can see that there exists such a feature for the Android, under the Character tab in the Definition Screen Interface of the Dictionary Settings. But couldn't find an equivalent setting for the iPhone.
I find the "Containing" tab in the "Chars" screen to be one of the most useful features of PLECO. However, its utility is somewhat limited, since typically you get a list of hundreds of characters, most of them quite rare and of little use for most of us. It's difficult to find the common characters within such a vast list

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
j.luengo said:
Is there a "Common Compounds" filter for the iPhone version of PLECO?
I can see that there exists such a feature for the Android, under the Character tab in the Definition Screen Interface of the Dictionary Settings. But couldn't find an equivalent setting for the iPhone.
I find the "Containing" tab in the "Chars" screen to be one of the most useful features of PLECO. However, its utility is somewhat limited, since typically you get a list of hundreds of characters, most of them quite rare and of little use for most of us. It's difficult to find the common characters within such a vast list

Those are actually the same screen - not sure why the Android one is only showing common characters, I don't believe we've implemented any frequency-sorting in it yet. But the super-rare characters should show up later in the list in both screens.

j.luengo

I have not tried PLECO in the Android, but according to the Android Instructions Manual (@ http://www.pleco.com/anmanual/settings. ... reenlayout), the Dictionaries Definition Screen Interface contains the following Setting: "Common compounds: filters the list of compound characters to only include characters that are covered by one of your installed dictionaries."
Sounds like a nice way to limit the compound character list to those in one of the dictionaries. I couldn't find such an option in the iPhone version (the same thing, by the way, to the "Flatten components" and "Flatten compounds"; these settings seem to be available in the Android, but not in the iPhone)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
j.luengo said:
I have not tried PLECO in the Android, but according to the Android Instructions Manual (@ http://www.pleco.com/anmanual/settings. ... reenlayout), the Dictionaries Definition Screen Interface contains the following Setting: "Common compounds: filters the list of compound characters to only include characters that are covered by one of your installed dictionaries."
Sounds like a nice way to limit the compound character list to those in one of the dictionaries. I couldn't find such an option in the iPhone version (the same thing, by the way, to the "Flatten components" and "Flatten compounds"; these settings seem to be available in the Android, but not in the iPhone)

Hmm, I didn't even know we had that option - I presume I was involved in the decision to add it at some point but I honestly don't remember doing so. (getting old, I suppose) Anyway, if it's in our engine anyway then we can certainly support it on iOS in our next update, but I guess it's not supported at the moment - sorry about that.

j.luengo

I think such a feature will be useful to users, to help illustrate how already-known characters are related to one another.
One could filter, for example, by a user dictionary containg the ~3,000 HSK characters, or the 5,000 more common ones; and forget about the rest, since most of them are quite cryptic and only contribute to unneeded "noise" within the list
Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
j.luengo said:
I think such a feature will be useful to users, to help illustrate how already-known characters are related to one another.
One could filter, for example, by a user dictionary containg the ~3,000 HSK characters, or the 5,000 more common ones; and forget about the rest, since most of them are quite cryptic and only contribute to unneeded "noise" within the list
Thanks

At the moment it seems to only filter by all dictionaries and not specific ones - my guess is that it's using the same code that we use to do this with radical searches.