Character Tab

David K

Hi I apologise if this question has already been asked but I cannot find it in the forum. In the old version of the iPod Pleco the 字 tab provided information on the main radical and the other radicals that were used to make up a character. This was useful in learning how to write a new character. This does not seem to be available in the version 3.0 or at least not in such an obvious way. I know that the main radical info omission was a mistake and will be reintroduced with an update, but what about full character decomposition? Am I missing something? I know that for many characters you can toggle through the character screens gradually getting to the most basic component but having all the character components on one page would be useful. David

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
CHARS lists the character decomposition, but it only does it at the highest level, it doesn't break those characters down further into their smaller components - our current component database does that too much (even in places where it's not really linguistically relevant) so the full breakdown for a complicated character would be long and useless. There's a bug that can cause it to leave out a few of the top-level items too if they're not standard characters - that's fixed for 3.0.1 but no good workaround in the meantime.