Changing Hotsync ID on Palm PDAs?

Greetings all,

My name is Gabe Yedid. I am from Montreal, Canada, though currently living in Nanjing, where I work as a postdoctoral fellow at the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Paleontology. I am new to the world of PlecoDict.

I have purchased a PDA (Palm Tungsten E2) and successfully downloaded and installed the demo version of *PD*, and want to upgrade to the Complete version ASAP. However, I notice that as part of the ordering process, you must provide your PDA's HotSync ID. Currently, on mine that is set to "te2". This seems like a default setting, and I'm concerned it might be rejected if I place an order at the Pleco web site. How can I change the HotSync ID to something more unique and personal?

cheers,

Gabe Yedid

ipsi

状元
To the best of my knowledge, it only matters for synching with your PC/MAC (having two devices with the same name is bad), and for registering software. The uniqueness of it doesn't really matter. Though if you do need to change it I suspect the only way is to do a hard reset. If you haven't had your PDA for long, this shouldn't pose many problems. But if you've put a lot of stuff on it, then backing up and restoring will be a pain. When I get home, I'll have a look in the Palm desktop software to see how to change it.

ipsi said:
To the best of my knowledge, it only matters for synching with your PC/MAC (having two devices with the same name is bad), and for registering software. The uniqueness of it doesn't really matter. Though if you do need to change it I suspect the only way is to do a hard reset. If you haven't had your PDA for long, this shouldn't pose many problems. But if you've put a lot of stuff on it, then backing up and restoring will be a pain. When I get home, I'll have a look in the Palm desktop software to see how to change it.

Ah, OK, found something on the Pleco knowledge base page ;) When I get home, I'll try what's suggested and see if it works.

cheers,

Gabe

Well there we go, using the instructions in the knowledge base, I was able to rename my HotSync ID. I successfully ordered the keyfile and am now using the full version of *PD*! :D :D

cheers,

Gabe