Cantonese for andriod

initiald

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if pleco has implemented Cantonese TTS dictionary? ie i want it to pronounce the words in Cantonese rather than Mandarin. i cannot figure it out that there is an option for cantonese in the setting but it doesnt work and refer to mandarin audio instead.

Having seen some threads that pleco is looking to have cantonese audio for the andriod, compare to ipad which got Cantonese audio translation, is there something i am still missing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Two most likely problems here:

1) Is your phone running a very old version of Android? Some of them didn't have proper support for Cantonese locale codes (didn't recognize it as distinct from Mandarin) and so make it next to impossible for our app to communicate to the TTS engine that it wants audio in Cantonese. If you enable Settings / Audio / Alternate Cantonese Locale, that might help in some cases.

2) Do you have a text-to-speech engine that supports Cantonese? Google TTS is the best bet, but if you can't get that or if it doesn't work you could also try another one like Ekho. We're hoping to have a built-in Cantonese TTS ready to launch sometime next year (once the company developing it finishes it) but we don't have one yet so we can only rely on external systems like Google's.

initiald

Hi Mike,

having playing with option 1 as above, my solution was solved!

I realized that the removing the "alternate Cantonese local" work in some case. My phone is a samsung note 3 with andriod 5.0. Now i can practice some Cantonese as part of what i am learning.

Thank again!