Can't get iCloud sync to work

Hi, I have lots of mutually exclusive cards on my iPhone and iPad but have not been able to sync my flashcards between these devices. I've enabled iCloud sync on both, have closed Pleco on both (to let it run in the background) and have even restarted and reopened - all to no avail. Is there some other step that I'm missing? I'm expecting to see the cards from each device popping up in the "Organize" section of the other, but perhaps I'm missing some step with back-up files? Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are both devices on WiFi and plugged in? Neither is 100% necessary, but iCloud sync is fickle (we have no direct control over it) and those things make it more likely to update quickly. No need to fiddle around with backup files if it's working, but it sounds from this like one or the other device simply isn't syncing with iCloud correctly.

Bendy-Ren

举人
Out of curiosity, when/how exactly does iCloud syncing happen? Is there a way to trigger it? If I want it to sync, should I leave the app open, or restart it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's up to Apple - assuming your device is plugged in and on WiFi it will usually happen as soon as you exit Pleco, but there's no set pattern; all we do on our end is edit the database file and tell Apple's system that we did, it's up to them when to actually upload it to iCloud.

Mike - thanks for the quick reply.

Yes - both have WiFi on and were plugged in. I've also set up the iCloud backup, which wasn't on previously. At the moment I can access the search history of one device from the other, but the flashcards still don't seem to be synching. There seem to be a lot of back-up files however. Assuming from your post that ideally these don't need to be used, but I guess for now I can just try to synch up using them, right?

Also, both of my devices are 7.0.0 and not the latest incremental version - might that be the issue?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The backup files are meant to guard against iCloud-introduced file corruption rather than to aid in syncing - for sync purposes you'd be better off making a new backup (so that it's totally up-to-date) and then sharing that with the other device.

7.0.0 could be the problem, yes - they fixed some very serious iCloud document sync bugs on the 5S in one of the .0.x updates and it's certainly possible that might have affected other devices too.