Can't 'continue' to review those not due yet cards

Cubuk

秀才
After many hours of trying to comprehend Pleco's Spaced Repetition Software configuration (yeah, I know, this topic comes up a lot), I managed to get some kind of satisfactory setting.

Now, I finally get incorrect ones being repeated DURING the test, and more than once, so the learning goes faster, although Pleco sometimes linger too much on those repeated ones.

However, after I finished studying the 53 cards from the set I got (from 6 categories, in which there are several hundreds flashcards), I can't move past them to get to another cards. I click "continue", and I get the same 53 cards I already know quite well, why I can't review the other several hundred cards.

I've read several topics about SRS set up and it seems that the problems have been going on for years, sadly it's not fixed yet - the system is overwhelming with options and difficult to use.

How do I get passed those 53 cards?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turn off the option to "Limit New Cards" in New Test / Card Selection - it's trying not to overwhelm you with more than you can memorize at once.

Cubuk

秀才
I did just that and it didn't help, actually, it got worse than before, because now the test wasn't over after reviewing those 53 cards, but I still had to repeat them twice...

Cubuk

秀才
Hi. I tweaked some things in "card filters", and now it's working better. I get around 700 cards, and there are frequently repeats of the cards I didn't answer correctly.

However, another problem emerges. I am being asked many times for some cards (which is good), but after I review them several times, they don't seem to come up anymore. I thought they would appear after some longer time, but they don't.

Let's say I'm at my 115th card. I am asked about incorrectly answered cards, such as the 104th, 109th, 96th, and so one. But I don't get any previous cards anymore, even though I had problems with them.
And despite the fact that I seemed to learn them well at the time, long absence can make me forget them again - that's why I should be asked to review them after some longer interval.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What are the scores like for those cards? May simply be that the interval is quite long now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The scores should show up right in Organize Cards, or you can view an individual card's score (and other statistics) by tapping on it and then tapping the "Statistics" tab.

Cubuk

秀才
I can't see the scores in Organize Cards, so I picked one card. Here are the statistics:

Score: 100
Difficulty: 82
Record: 2-3
History: 25352

Priority: 3 (normal)

I guess it's because of the score being 100? Shouldn't it decreases over time?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Score 100 is actually the baseline score - card should be coming up every day; however, if you've got SRS turned on and have already reviewed the card today, it won't show it to you again until tomorrow.

Cubuk

秀才
Can I disatble this? I don't really have time to wait for the cards few days. Can it not be dictated by time but by my progress?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you just want to keep drilling them continuously then I wouldn't use SRS at all; use 'random' card selection and then add a card filter to exclude cards you've answered correctly (say) 3 times in a row.

Stretching out repetitions to longer and longer intervals in order to commit words to long-term memory is pretty much the whole point of SRS, so reviewing the same cards again and again on a single day is exactly what the system is designed *not* to do.

If you really want to do this while still using SRS, use "hours" instead of "calendar" day type (in Card Selection), increase the 'points per day' to maybe 200 or 300, and set the 'minimum score' in Scoring / Tweak Parameters to 10 (the lowest it'll currently allow) - that way, cards answered incorrectly will come up again in just an hour or so. This isn't very good SRS and will likely result in a lot of wasted reviews but it'll get you more-or-less the behavior you want without switching to random card selection.