Beta 9 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Alexis

状元
When trying to select/highlight the headwords pinyin/jyutping pronunciation, whichever's on the bottom, the bottom right selection handle is hidden.

哮喘痰嗽: pinyin for the second character is listed twice.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, always happy to start off a new beta with a non-scary bug report - thanks :)

哮喘痰嗽: which dictionary?

weingin

秀才
Okay, I hadn't had the time to update to Beta 9 yet, but I assume this is still relevant (though arguably minor):

Yesterday, using Beta 8, I exported some flashcards for a friend. Chose .txt instead of .xml and the first bug I've noticed was the proposed filename: "flash.xml.txt". Pleco clings on to the .xml, if only in the file name.
Then I emailed said file to him and the name of the attachment changed to "_private_var_mobile_Applications_9342D9BF-5F47-42FD-A7E8-AE4C40AED1CC_Documents_flash.xml.txt".

The file itself was alright, so this is just about nomenclature.

Earl

举人
With every beta I have installed Pleco on every available device I have, but today I am getting the following:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    273.5 KB · Views: 505

Earl

举人
Is the font in the input box supposed to be the same as the current font?

Attachments

• PX.PNG
    PX.PNG
    245.8 KB · Views: 476

Earl

举人
Note that when using the iPod we have an "undo". Is undo missing when using the iPad?

Attachments

• p0.PNG
    p0.PNG
    118.8 KB · Views: 494
  • p1.PNG
    p1.PNG
    213.7 KB · Views: 470
  • p2.PNG
    p2.PNG
    292.5 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - thanks.

weingin - interesting; might be on Apple's end but should still be possible for us to work around.

Earl - sorry about that, part of the process of tightening everything up for the finished release.

The input boxes have a tendency to exaggerate issues in font placement so we locked those to just the one font for now - we're redesigning that whole screen anyway soon so it didn't seem worth too much effort to fix.

Not sure why Undo went missing, we'll investigate that - you might notice that it does appear during flashcard sessions (it's in the screenshot in your previous post).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In theory, but we don't have it working yet because in a narrow band like that it takes some tweaking to get the characters from each font positioned reliably. (iOS does a less-than-stellar-job at positioning custom fonts)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! (we'd certainly rather you point it out and not have it turn out to be a bug than not point it out and have it turn out to be one :) )

BanMai

秀才
Using the document reader with an EPUB file on an iPad3, why is the popup definition so slow to load up? It takes at least 3-4 seconds for the definition to show up for each word, whereas the definition popups come up almost instantly when using the auto dictation.

-----
Also, I love the Kaiti font! I really feel that it has helped improve my handwriting (the sans serif fonts are not so useful for learning handwriting...)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
goldyn chyld - those are partially-drawn ellipses; shouldn't be getting clipped like that, though.

BanMai - mostly relates to the particular EPUB - the longer a chapter, the more work it takes to figure out where you are in it and position everything accordingly. To be honest, the iPad 3 is unusually bad at this because it's so underpowered relative to its screen size - on most other devices there's not so much lag, even in the same EPUBs that cause problems on the iPad 3. We do have some ideas about how we can improve performance in the future but probably nothing we can get ready for this release.

EDIT: actually, sorry, there is one reader-slowing-down bug we found / fixed yesterday that should be in the finished release - not sure if it's the one that's causing the problem in the EPUB you're looking at but it makes a fairly dramatic difference if it is.

Last edited:

Shun

状元
Another minor thing. When the keyboard is out in Search Dictionary mode on the iPad, when I tap on the headword (the large word at the top in large characters), the pop-up definition for the word's individual characters is only partly visible because it extends upward, past the screen border. There would be enough space under it for the pop-up definition to extend downward. That should be an easy one to fix.