Best Smartphone for AT&T/PlecoDict

My company uses AT&T so they will buy me a smartphone if it's offered by AT&T. Given PlecoDict's requirement for a touchscreen, that means I can choose from:
AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser)
Palm Centro
Palm Treo 750 (HTC Cheetah)

Any AT&T sufferers out there with a recommendation?

I'm not particularly excited about any of these. I was leaning towards the Centro since it's the smallest of the three, but then I read on the web site that Pleco is no longer recommending new purchases of Palm OS devices because 2.0 will run better on Windows Mobile. Any details on exactly how the 2.0 experience will be worse on Palm OS?

ipsi

状元
From what I've seen using the Beta on Palm OS, it will probably be slower and slightly less stable. More to the point, there's unlikely to be any upgrades put out for Palm after 2.0 comes out - Mike's said that 2.1 will probably be WinMob only.

Given that, I'd recommend the Tilt, as it has a better screen and more features than the 750. Might be worth checking battery life and such, but yeah.

Haven't used either of those myself though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
2.1 may still support Palm, actually, we don't quite know what that release is going to look like yet - if it's mostly a matter of bug fixes / optimizations / new content / other things which are relatively easy to port over we probably still would support Palm (given all of the effort we've gone to to get 2.0 working on it), though perhaps a few features would be missing. 3.0 is the release that we're pretty sure won't be out on Palm. But yes, the WM version of 2.0 is generally going to be faster / more stable than the Palm version.

sfrrr

状元
I'd opt for the HTC Kaiser. It's a WM device, for one thing, and, for another, HTC PDAs are usually super. I have an HTC Wizard (AT&T) and I'm as happy as I can be with a hybrid device. (I still think that hybrid phone/PDAs are not ready for prime time, especially if you're a heavy PDA user, as I am.)

Sandra