Any alternatives for Outlook in Xp?

Are there any Sync alternatives other then Outlook for English Xp?

I use Outlook 2002 and don't want to buy a new one. Seems also Outlook has problems with Chinese fonts. I can not i.e. use Chinese fonts in Notes.

In order to get Chinese to show up in my notes that are synced to Outlook (as well as to get it to show up for Chinese MP3s in my iTunes/Windows Media Player libraries and to show up in some other obscure places) I have to set Chinese simplified to be used as the language for non-Unicode programs.

To do this:
Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced > Language for non-Unicode programs > Chinese (PRC)

However, this does not come without its own set up problems. When Language for non-Unicode programs is set to Chinese, I find that regardless of the default settings and language formatting I set in Outlook (set to English), my address fields when editing contact's cards is automatically set to Chinese regional formatting. ie. Instead of the standard US English address format for my contacts being Street, City, State, Zip (Postal) Code, Country, (1234 Old Dog Rd., San Ramon, CA, 94582, USA) it becomes: Zip (Postal) Code, State, City, Street, Country, which looks like (94582, CA, San Ramon, 1234 Old Dog Rd., USA). While this may not bother some people, I have spent my entire life writing addresses in the other order, so it tends to bug me when I need to add/change a lot of contacts.

In addition to my default contact address fields' order being rearranged, when I have Language for non-Unicode programs set to Chinese, I also find that when installing some applications and/or application updates (the worst offenders seem to be Microsoft, Adobe and Nero) that after clicking on the installer for the application/update that the installation dialog box pops up in Chinese instead of in English. While my Chinese language is decent, many of the computer/OS related jargon, I still have yet to master. The problem becomes worse when I try to use the program with Chinese menus.

So, the best solution I have found to the issues with address field region formatting and program installation dialog boxes being changed to Chinese/Chinese region formatting, is to briefly reset my Language for non-Unicode programs back to English (requiring a restart of the computer) then make the changes I need/install the program or update I need, and then change the Language for non-Unicode programs back to Chinese and restart my computer again. Definitely no fun, but it is doable.

I hope this helps!

And, if someone knows a better solution to this problem, please speak up, as I am highly interested.

I still have yet to figure out why these applications can't just pop up a drop down menu in the installer's very first dialog box that asks which default language a person wants the menus to be in. Many applications already do this. Furthermore, since the Chinese language is already supported by the application itself, why does it even become necessary to set the Language for non-Unicode programs in the operating system to Chinese for the Chinese characters to show up properly in the application?

It seems that this is a problem that especially affects learners of a language, because you want to be able to see your text in that language show up in your applications, but you may not be fluent/literate enough to be able to have all of your menus in the particular application set to that particular language and still be able to use the program.

Any suggestions on this any one?

What is your take Mike?

Thanks,

Darrol

There's an appplication locale switcher available from Microsoft for XP, which works on an application by application basis. Don't know if switching it on/off would require reboots or not. I'd expect not, since it's a program, not a system wide setting, but who knows with these things...

Unfortunately for me, it doesn't work with Vista, and they (previously) said they had no plans to update it.

Thanks for the information stephanhodges.

I've tried searching with Google and Yahoo, however, I haven't been able to locate the Windows XP application locale switcher application that you mentioned. You don't happen to have the link bookmarked do you?

I think you refer to AppLocale. That could be fine, problem is that Outlook does not seem to have an EXE file I can AppLocal point to.