3.2.3: [Reader] vertically scroll PDFs + vertical text: pop-definition bug

etm001

状元
Hi,

I have a PDF with vertically aligned text. I have "vertically scroll PDFs" enabled. On any page other than the first page, tapping on a character/word causes the pop-up definition to appear, but the displayed page jumps back to the first page. This bug does not happen if I turn off "vertically scroll PDFs".

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, this is a known one - if you check the version history we mention it specifically as a reason why we're quietly pretending we didn't add this feature yet. Hopefully actually working in 3.2.4.

etm001

状元
Yeah, this is a known one - if you check the version history we mention it specifically as a reason why we're quietly pretending we didn't add this feature yet.

Sorry, I forgot to read the release notes. For anyone wondering, they are available here.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No need to apologize, they're rather long and boring and we don't expect most people to read them :)

Let me borrow this "Reader" thread real quick (I hope the OP doesn't mind); I noticed that the pop up definitions in Reader don't always start from the 1st dictionary on my list. Is this a bug?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The selection there is sticky (though you can disable this in Settings / Popup Definition) - i.e., if you manually switch to a particular dictionary then it will make that one the default until you manually switch again.

etm001

状元
One more thing I noticed when reading vertically oriented text: the pop-up definition often obscured the highlight text. Perhaps this is a known issue too.

I was experimenting with creating documents with vertical text for use with Pleco reader. In the end, horizontal works better for me - not because of some of the issues that Pleco reader has with vertical text, but because more text can be displayed left-to-right on a single screen (at least with the documents and font sizes I use), and text re-orients nicely if the device is changed from portrait to landscape, etc.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - not sure whether that one will be on our end or the PDF library maker's. Could you possibly email me one of these vertical PDF documents so we can make sure we're seeing the same problem?

etm001

状元
Could you possibly email me one of these vertical PDF documents so we can make sure we're seeing the same problem?

Sure I'll send it via email. It looks like the pop-up definition displays under the tap-selected word by default, unless the character is near the top/bottom of the screen, in which case it displays under the character (if near the top of the screen) or above the word (for characters near the bottom of the screen).