3.1.4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

jlnr

进士
After jumping back and forth between the dictionary and flashcards, the menu button disappeared, never to be seen again. I think it was still there in themed flashcard screen, but only force-killing the app brought it back to the dictionary.

This has only happened once even though I use the app daily, so probably not a big issue :)

Attachments

• IMG_7442.PNG
    IMG_7442.PNG
    111.1 KB · Views: 591

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. Might relate to your jailbreak, but if we get more reports we can certainly investigate further.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. Are all of these erroneous matches from the MoE dictionary (or another user-created one)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! GZH it probably only applies with those they-haven't-invented-a-character-for-this boxes.

Same issue with HDC:
Searching character: 駃
image.jpg

All the erroneous search results are from HDC.

Here's the clue to what's happening here though, and it's weird:
If we click on the result for 駃牛 here's what we get:
image.jpg
+
image.jpg
+
image.jpg
+
image.jpg
+
image.jpg
+
image.jpg

A bunch of words starting with 駃, grouped together.

The simplified version of 駃 renders like this elsewhere - like the boxes from GZH messing up the search results, apparently - for what reason I don't really know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 618

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
With those it looks like the problem is that they have incorrect fanti transliterations - very odd, but fixable in the database. HDC should hopefully be getting its big update by the end of the year (trying to get 3.2 polished off but then we'll be focusing a lot of resources on databases).

Paul Duke

进士
Yes, we removed Playlists so that we could add an option for Audiobooks. Fast fix is unlikely since we don't currently have any other major bugs that would justify a 3.1.5 update, so reverting to 3.1.3 in the way you describe would probably be the best workaround for now. (sorry about that - didn't realize anybody was using Playlists in this way, in fact just in general the Lyrics Reader is one of our least popular features)

Hi, I just wanted to mention that I found/realized there is a very easy workaround for my issue (even though I seem to be the only one in the world who noticed it). Since a few versions back, I believe, the lyrics reader picks up on whatever is being played by the built-in Music app (as opposed to needing to choose a track specifically through the Pleco lyrics reader, as it was maybe back in version 2). So what I've found is that I just launch whatever Chinesepod lesson I'm listening to through another app, then switch over to Pleco. Not a big deal.

Re the issue of changing a lot of the settings (which is why I didn't want to roll back to 3.1.3 to solve the lyrics-reader/playlist button issue -- so as not to spend time fiddling with settings), what I find in particular is that I spend a lot of time figuring out how to make all the fonts bigger. At age 51, I need bigger fonts than the defaults for readability. As it works now, to see the results of any particular fonts change, you have to drill down into the settings, then go back over to the dictionary, then back and forth until you have the settings where you want them. I have to remember where those settings are (for instance, under "Languages + Text" not under "Search Interface" or "Definition Screen" or other possibilities which also seem logical).

As well, under "Languages + Text" I have to figure out that "Entry body" and "List definition" refer to the same thing, though they use different words (ie, "body" and "definition" both basically mean "the definition part").

Putting those elements together, I find that when it comes to Pleco, I get a little nervous when an update or changing phones or what have you might cause me to have to get it all working as I like from scratch. For all those font size changes, for instance, the gold standard is definitely WYSIWYG -- if there were a little popup that showed what the screen will look like with the changes, that would be great.

Will be switching to iPhone 6 this weekend and we'll see what happens!

Thanks as always for all the great work.

Shun

状元
Hi, I feel that the tap-hold delay when long-pressing the 三 button could be made a little shorter. Right now, it's about a second, but half a second or so should still work, since no one is keeping their finger on the screen for longer than perhaps one-tenth of a second when tapping something. Thanks!

Alexis

状元
On iOS 8 / iPad 3 in Pleco reader, the definition bubble, that usually appears when a character is tapped, is missing. Well, I've seen it appear maybe twice out of the fifty times or so I tapped.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Paul Duke - understood; the settings situation definitely needs to improve in general but it's a lot of work (though I do think we've made quite a few advances on that front in the last year).

@Shun - it's actually half a second now; I'd be wary of making it any shorter since some people do make relatively long / deliberate screen taps.

@Alexis - that's odd, not seeing it on a Retina Mini here - have to dig out the iPad 3 and update it to test this.

Alexis

状元
It seems to be specific to certain sections of some epubs. I can email you an epub later for testing.

Shun

状元
Hi, some phrases are pronounced incorrectly by the new male TTS voice:

出血热 (sounds like chūqùrè, should be chūxuèrè)
大幅上升 (sounds like dàfúchàngshēng, should be dàfúshàngshēng)
不愿 (sounds like bùjuàn, should be bùyuàn)