3.1.1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Looks like this one actually went up pretty quickly after we told them to release it. But it'll be short-lived as we're already preparing 3.1.2.

Shun

状元
Great, just a problem with colors. With Night mode on and Tint toolbars on, when I check a word in Dictionary, the Tint / Highlight color and Toolbar item tint color look as set in Settings, if I press ">" in the Reader, they're gray. Perhaps a quick fix for version 3.1.2 and a clean rewrite of the text/color display engine for version 3.2 would be the best solution? (one that also works for all possible color configurations)

I can't move a file into a folder in File Manager. (the file is at the root level) There is no error message, the file is a text file.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually just did rewrite the color system in 3.1 in order to a) make it support quick flipping into/out of Night Mode better and b) eliminate the performance problems it was causing in 3.0, so no plans to rewrite it again; we can certainly look at patching this particular issue for 3.1.2, though.

File Manager bug was also in 3.1.0, it's already fixed for 3.1.2 but we couldn't pull and resubmit 3.1.1 after we discovered it without resetting the clock and delaying 3.1.1 even longer.

Search "" doesn't display my, search working, usr dictionary entry --- only returns UNI

[edit] apparently the forums don't support the character either:
扌 曹

JD

状元
Crash report:
1). Do a dictionary search for 礻(radical character)
2). then press the "Chars" tab
3). App crashes.
4). The other tabs all work....just Chars crashes.

JD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ACardiganAndAFrown - looks like that's a CJK Extension B problem; basically characters that are so rare that they have to be encoded using a combination of two special codes. Not sure whether or not we can fix this until we update the user dictionary format, though.

@JD - thanks! Actually an infinite loop - 礻 is defined as one of its own components for some strange reason, so it kept pulling up compounds of itself again and again and again.

Also, full search with # doesn't seem to be working with individual Chinese dictionaries (seems to work on "all" dictionaries but not individually)

Shun

状元
Hi, if I set the Recorded Audio Preferred Gender to "Alternating", after displaying a dictionary definition I always get the female voice first, even if I had last heard the female voice in a previous dictionary definition.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
And are you possibly playing example sentences with text-to-speech in between invocations of the audio button?

Shun

状元
No, I'm just pressing the speaker icon next to the pinyin of a word, hearing the female recording, pressing Back, going back into the word definition, then when pressing the speaker icon, I hear the female recording again. I can paste in the screenshot of my settings.

image.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... yeah, looks like it may not be saving the last gender correctly in some situations. Anyway, since we may not release another .1.x update after the already-submitted 3.1.2, this might not be fixed for a while, so for now I'd suggest picking "Alternating (M first)" if you prefer to hear male audio by default when you enter the definition screen.

JD

状元
@JD - thanks! Actually an infinite loop - 礻 is defined as one of its own components for some strange reason, so it kept pulling up compounds of itself again and again and again.

Perhaps another incident of this...the character 癶 crashes Pleco when I try to go to the "Char" tab.

I'm curious if this is a problem with the dictionary database that you correct, or if there is a plan for infinite-loop checking to be added in Pleco to avoid the issue?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that is indeed another infinite loop. We've already added infinite loop checking now for our already-submitted 3.1.2 update; could fix it in the component database as well, but it's usually better programming practice to allow for the possibility of buggy input data; also, the performance impact of the loop check is negligible, and the code that tracks the path through the database to avoid loops can be useful for other things in the future too.

JD

状元
Yes, that is indeed another infinite loop. We've already added infinite loop checking now for our already-submitted 3.1.2 update; could fix it in the component database as well, but it's usually better programming practice to allow for the possibility of buggy input data; also, the performance impact of the loop check is negligible, and the code that tracks the path through the database to avoid loops can be useful for other things in the future too.

Excellent, thanks! I agree that the code-checking method is preferable if you don't get to control the data sources and the check isn't costly.

A little font bug: search for a random character/compound (e.g. 汉语). Tap on it. Now tap on any character in the definition field and then tap the > arrow. Since I use the Kai font, I noticed that the font of 汉语 in the upper left corner is not in Kai. Same goes for any other entry.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one's on iOS, actually - character positioning of non-standard Chinese fonts is unreliable and we don't have a good way to get Kai rendering consistently in that particular button yet.