2 questions; 3 actually

laobaigou

举人
Hi,

1) In the file reader, is there a way to change the order in which the dictionaries are searched; I would like e.g. my Soothill dict to resolve stuff first if I'm reading Buddhist stuff, then my own CC dict to be second, then maybe PLC, and then CC. I'd like the change the matching order depending on what I'm reading.

2) Sometimes when the reader identifies a multiple char expression, I can use |<- to select just a smaller right hand side, but how do I move the left side to the right. |-> doesn't work. e.g. with "戰國" if I click, I get the entire phrase .. good enough, and |<- selects just "戰", good! But now if I select the entire thing again and hit |->, I don't select "國", and I think this should work. Please clue me in.

Other than these two issues (which may very well be possible; and I just haven't discovered the trick) I love the reader. Kudos!

3) Are all these kinds of questions answered in a FAQ that we all should scan beforehand? If so where is it?

Thanks much.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
laobaigou said:
1) In the file reader, is there a way to change the order in which the dictionaries are searched; I would like e.g. my Soothill dict to resolve stuff first if I'm reading Buddhist stuff, then my own CC dict to be second, then maybe PLC, and then CC. I'd like the change the matching order depending on what I'm reading.

You can change it system-wide via Settings / Manage Dicts, but there's no way to do it just for one document.

laobaigou said:
Sometimes when the reader identifies a multiple char expression, I can use |<- to select just a smaller right hand side, but how do I move the left side to the right. |-> doesn't work. e.g. with "戰國" if I click, I get the entire phrase .. good enough, and |<- selects just "戰", good! But now if I select the entire thing again and hit |->, I don't select "國", and I think this should work. Please clue me in.

Other than these two issues (which may very well be possible; and I just haven't discovered the trick) I love the reader. Kudos!

Use <-| to select the left character, then use just -> to advance to the right and it should select the next character.

laobaigou said:
3) Are all these kinds of questions answered in a FAQ that we all should scan beforehand? If so where is it?

Nope, though that would be a good idea :)

laobaigou

举人
mikelove said:
laobaigou said:

You can change it system-wide via Settings / Manage Dicts, but there's no way to do it just for one document.

-> I don't see how to do this even system-wide; you can go to 'Settings / Manage Dicts' but then what? There is a [Reorder] button, but ????? IT doesn't look like you can actually reorder them, as in assign an ordinal to each; you can just set in 'Use in reader', and '(only as fallback)'. Is that true?

laobaigou said:
Sometimes when the reader identifies a multiple char expression, I can use |<- to select just a smaller right hand side, but how do I move the left side to the right. |-> doesn't work. e.g. with "戰國" if I click, I get the entire phrase .. good enough, and |<- selects just "戰", good! But now if I select the entire thing again and hit |->, I don't select "國", and I think this should work. Please clue me in.

Use <-| to select the left character, then use just -> to advance to the right and it should select the next character.

-> Oh, OK, you have to hit <-| first, and advance to the 1st char, and then you can use -> afterwards; if you just hit -> you advance to the next char/group of chars outside the multi-char expression. No way to advance right to the next char(s) in a multi-char expression in one click? It advances right to re-select a multi-char expression after they are de-selected with |<-, but when the entire thing is selected, it would be nice if it went into a mode where it started de-selecting to the right instead of |-> being a no-op.

laobaigou said:

Nope, though that would be a good idea :)

-> Then you could type 'See FAQ, item 42' .. Lots less typing for you. I imagine this forum is full of duplicate question-answers.

scykei

榜眼
laobaigou said:
I don't see how to do this even system-wide; you can go to 'Settings / Manage Dicts' but then what? There is a [Reorder] button, but ????? IT doesn't look like you can actually reorder them, as in assign an ordinal to each; you can just set in 'Use in reader', and '(only as fallback)'. Is that true?
After touching the Reorder button on the top right of the screen, you can grab the lists from by touching and holding on the right of every item and dragging them to rearrange. It goes from top to bottom.

laobaigou said:
Oh, OK, you have to hit <-| first, and advance to the 1st char, and then you can use -> afterwards; if you just hit -> you advance to the next char/group of chars outside the multi-char expression. No way to advance right to the next char(s) in a multi-char expression in one click? It advances right to re-select a multi-char expression after they are de-selected with |<-, but when the entire thing is selected, it would be nice if it went into a mode where it started de-selecting to the right instead of |-> being a no-op.
I don't think that that method would be any more efficient than it already is, since you would require an extra tap to turn on deselect mode, and maybe another one to turn it off? I had trouble with this at first but after a while it doesn't seem like such a hassle any more. It is already the best way to handle it, I think.