Zire 72 and Zire 72s

Are the Zire 72 and 72s any good for Pleco software? Or do they have operating system difficulties?

I think they are using Palm V5.2.8.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Zire 72 should run PlecoDict perfectly well - the main reason we don't mention it much is that the Tungsten E has most of the same features and costs less. But the 72's processor is faster, and it does have that built-in camera, so I suppose there is an argument to be made for getting one.

The Z72 doesn't use Palm's new NVFS file system, the one that's caused all the problems on the T5 and Treo 650, so it shouldn't have any "difficulties" in that sense.

Thanks - Happiness is a new Palm

I purchased a Zire72s today and I am very happy with it. Many of the added features are worth the price increase.

The 1.2 megapixel camera is just about all that anyone needs. And I never seem to carry my Konica because of added bulk. I have missed a lot of good photo ops.

The MP3 digital memo recording is quite useful since I teach languages [and since i have MP3 audio edit software on my computer] and i was looking for a recorder to occasional class work. I just have reservations that the microphone will be adequate.

The bluetooth really is a big step up as it allows an on-going wireless interface to my computer and the internet. IR is a bit too tricky and wires are always a tangle.

In particular, I am most please that it comes with a case. The reason the my Tungsten E was damaged [screen failure] was because of no real case. Eventually, I intend to get a hardcase, but this allows me to comfortably shop around.

The stylus is the biggest disappointment as I abhor an all plastic stylus. It just feels wrong and annoys me. This can easily be replaced.

I am also disappointed that screen protectors have become outragously expense. This is not a Palm specific problem, but I know that the raw material costs a mere penny or two and the packaging and distribution is not more that 5 cents. How can they justify $9USD [I am sure the retailer happily gets at least 50% of the profit if not 75%, so complain and bargain!]. I used to be able to get three in a package and I could buy my own large sheet material and cut it down. But now, pure greed.

I purchased and downloaded your new Plecodict, but for some reason the Zire is not recognizing my SD card [it may have been damaged or just dying of old age]. Since it is only 64K, I am considering an immediate sizable upgrade for photos and tunes.

In sum, I am very pleased to have a new working platform and a better Chinese dictionary to explore.

My Besta95 managed to also break recently [another screen failure], so between Pleco and Bdicty I have been able let go of Besta forever. I had found going back to it as a back up was quite disappointing. Too slow, too complicated, and too big.