Xiandai Hanyu Guifan Cidian improvement

dhutin

Hello,

I've bought recently the Guifan cidian module. Although it is quite useful to have this eletronic version when on trip. But I found out the electronic version is poorer than printed chinese dictionnary and some time i had feeling it misses something (not enough example usage, etc...).

I hope, there will be an update in the future.

Anyway Wish you success !

Your kind supporter

Denis

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dhutin said:
I've bought recently the Guifan cidian module. Although it is quite useful to have this eletronic version when on trip. But I found out the electronic version is poorer than printed chinese dictionnary and some time i had feeling it misses something (not enough example usage, etc...).

Thanks for the feedback. But I'm not quite sure what would be missing - it's the complete text of the dictionary, we've taken it from the original prepress files. There are a few rare characters missing that are impossible to render correctly on a smartphone, but aside from that it should have everything in the printed version. Can you give me some specific examples of things that are missing in the electronic version but present in the printed one?

scykei

榜眼
Well, there certainly are a quite some example sentences in Guifan, although they are usually very short. It's the jumbled up dictionary formatting that makes them hard to spot. Then again, it's probably also how the entries are printed in the book form.

I do hope that it could differentiate example sentences and compound words because they use the same symbol to represent them. I know that you're working on standardizing the dictionary formatting so I'll be waiting patiently for that! :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Well, there certainly are a quite some example sentences in Guifan, although they are usually very short. It's the jumbled up dictionary formatting that makes them hard to spot. Then again, it's probably also how the entries are printed in the book form.

It is - we've been waiting for more than a year now for them to finally come through with the paperwork on updating the license to the new edition (I've been reminding them about it every couple of weeks since late 2010, in fact - all I ever hear back is that they're working on it), but we're loath to go through and fix this in the meantime since if they do come through with that update we'd just have to do the same thing all over again with the new data.

scykei said:
I do hope that it could differentiate example sentences and compound words because they use the same symbol to represent them. I know that you're working on standardizing the dictionary formatting so I'll be waiting patiently for that!

That's tough to do 100% because sometimes the example sentence is actually an example phrase and hence lacks any identifying punctuation. But we're hoping that if/when they finally come through with an update the new data will be better tagged for this.