Writing Chinese documents on your Palm and syncing them

Austin28

I have been trying to find a way to write Chinese documents on my palm and then be able to sync them to my PC.

I already have a Chinese OS called CJKOS. This alows me to write Chinese in Memo, but the Palm desktop program can not handle the characters.

Then I tried Documents to Go (a palm word processor). I could not run CJKOS, and when I tried to copy and paste Chinese character into it I caused a fatal reset.

Then I tried QuickOffice (another palm word processor). Here I was able to write in Chinese, but I ran into problems when I tried to sync. I was trying various methods to open up this document on word on my PC. Ussualy I got unreadable combinations of dingbats. Strangly once I was able to open this document on up in readable Chinese, but much to my own frustration I was not able to do it again. I have spent a good hour trying to recreate it, and I can not.

Next I tried Word Smith. Again I could write Chinese, but I could not transfer it to my PC.

Any recomdations out there?

- Austin

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you tried QED? http://www.qland.de/qed/ - I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think it uses the standard Palm OS routines for drawing text and is therefore compatible with CJKOS. And it saves documents in PalmDoc format, which should properly preserve the encoded characters on your desktop.

another option...perhaps

I used to use a program called Pen Power which allows you to write characters directly on the screen like "jot" if you are familar with it. I found it very useful and quick especially using the dictionary because you don't have to go to the handwriting screen. (Mike if you read this that would be a wonderful enhancement to your already awesome dictionary)
I thought I ran acrost information somewhere indicating you could use your PDA like a Chinese handwriting tablet for your PC. I never got far with that though because, being a Taiwan based company, all there product info is in Chinese.
Even though this product was very useful I have abandoned it for now because I got so mad at the companies profoundly poor customer service. After forking out the unreasonable 50 bucks for the program (bundled with Chinese OS) they would not respond to my emails and when they did they would reply in Chinese to my English requests! The only time I got English out of them was when they were denying my request for new registration codes for my new PDA! They said I had to re-buy the program when I upgrade to a new device!