Windows Mobile Address Book / Contacts Replacement App?

Azabu

举人
I know this is meant to be a hardware forum but...

I recently purchased a Samsung i780 phone which runs Windows Mobile 6 Professional, having been a long time Palm OS user. Its a nice device but the built in Address Book / Contacts is woeful. Is anyone able to suggest a good substitute? I don't need the power of a whole PIM replacement like Pocket Informant, etc. but something easier to use and which will allow more customisable and flexible field entries for contacts would be much appreciated, e.g. allowing multiple mobile phone entries for a single contact.

sfrrr

状元
There are a bunch of good ones,n including some freeware, but I recommend using the default PIM apps with the SBSH PocketBreeze Today page plugin. PB gives the default apps some additional features, ones that may be what you need. Other suggestions: both PocketInformant and AgendaFusion have slimmed down, simpler versions of their big-momma apps. Or, try GeckoCalendar (freeware?). I haven't had good luck with SPB (SBP?) apps--they seem to be resources hogs.

Azabu

举人
There appears to be no solution to such a simple thing, i.e. allowing multiple mobile phone entries for a single contact using Windows Mobile. After further research it seems all PIMs and contact management apps all use the standard database and there is no way to do this except to put a number into another field.

It just makes me wish for Pleco on iPhone even more now. It never occurred to me that Windows Mobile couldn't do this, so I never even bothered checking before I bought my i780.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's certainly possible to have more than one phone number for a contact, unless Samsung's done something strange on the i780 to complicate that. On our Touch Diamond at least, the New Contact screen has a whole bunch of different phone number fields - Work tel, Home tel, Mobile tel, Car tel, Company tel, Work2 tel, Home2 tel, Radio tel, Assistant tel... do you not see that when you go to create a new contact, or am I misunderstanding what you're looking for?

ipsi

状元
Somewhat perversely, while WM allows multiple Office and Home numbers, it doesn't allow a second mobile phone number. Having a look in Pocket Informant, there's no "+" button next to 'Mobile', which indicates that you can only have *one*. Even in the list of other fields it allows, it doesn't allow a second mobile number.

EDIT: This makes things awfully tricky when trying to send a text message, as it (well, FlexMail at least) doesn't check anywhere other than the Text Message field I think, and means it won't see a second mobile number. I get around it by putting the second number under Work 2 or some such, but it's not perfect. :(

Azabu

举人
My dissatisfaction is that I can't have more than one mobile phone number per contact without resorting to stuffing around as ipsi describes. Its made even more annoying because you can have three instant messaging fields or the ability to add a range of other fields, some seemingly useless like office location and radio, but only one mobile phone number.

You'd think by 2008 they'd realise that some people have more than one mobile phone number. This still isn't possible in WM6.1. There appears to be no third party workaround as every PIM appears to use the Outlook Mobile database.

Such a small thing has really put me off using WM, so I'm still carrying my Treo 680. I really wanted to switch over due to the recommendation that Pleco 2 is better on WM.