Windows mobile 6 and HTC Touch

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I wonder if Pleco will work on Windows Mobile 6?

Also, I wonder if anyone's installed it on an HTC Touch yet?

ldolse

状元
trouble with copy to input field

I had problems with the copy to input field function on Pleco with WM6 - it crashes Pleco, at least on the model I used (HTC Hermes). Same for WM5 AKU 3 on that device. The rest of the app seemed to work fine, but I use that button all the time, so I downgraded back to WM5 AKU2.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, we've done some testing on WM6 ourselves now and found the same result, so we've put up a couple of warnings on our website about it - basically it seems like they made some sort of major under-the-hood change to Pocket IE (which we use to render definitions) and because of that even highlighting a piece of text in the definition field can cause a crash.

We're dropping Pocket IE entirely in 2.0, so that should be fully WM6-compatible, but there doesn't seem to be any easy way for us to fix this without a 2.0-level rewrite so at the moment our advice is basically just to sit tight and hold off on upgrading to WM6 for a few more months until 2.0 beta is finally out.

OK, thanks for the replies.

I need to go ahead and buy a new phone - will try and install pleco on new phone and see what happens - would rather be without pleco for a few months than without phone for a few months :)

LiAnCrow

秀才
crivens200: let me know how Pleco works with the Touch. I'm considering getting that phones especially if it works well with Pleco. Are you buying it in the US?

Hi LiAnCrow
I got hold of an HTC Touch this week - seems like a great phone.

I guess the only major criticism from me is lack of keyboard input but I knew that before I bought it and am quite happy to sacrifice this function for the small size. It really is tiny compared to my previous MDA. More like a normal sized mobile phone now.

I bought it online from Expansys China and had it delivered to my home in Jiangsu - took 3 days so pretty good service.

I've installed plecodict and seems to be working fine. I'll hold off using the cut and past functions until 2.0 comes out though.

Actually, having played around with the phone for a while, the cut and past in to pleco doesn't seem to be giving any problems at this stage.

I can copy chinese from a text message and past in to pleco and it doesn't seem to crash. On my previous phone I had to copy from the text message to a word document and then from the word document in to pleco - no need to do that with this phone.

Having now played around with it for a few days I have to report that it's a little buggy and crashes occasionally. Not sure if its pleco that is causing the problems or if its normal windows mobile bugs. Whatever, it's half the size of my MDA or a Treo so my complaints aren't too significant.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The form factor definitely looks to be the Touch's best asset, about the same as a RAZR if my measurements are correct and hence eminently pocketable to a degree previously only true with touchscreen-less WM Smartphone devices. Pity about the lack of a keyboard, though, seems like if they tweaked the design to use a square screen they could create something with all of the functionality of a Treo but less than 2/3 as thick.

gato

状元
Pity about the lack of a keyboard, though,
I think a simple numeric pad would be a good compromise between no keyboard and a full keyboard. Lots of people already text message on their non-smartphones with a smart predictive algorithm like T9. There are parallel algorithms available for Chinese. The one on my Motorla v360 is pretty good. I hear Nokia's Chinese entry algorithm is also very good. Unfortunately, one still has to enter one character at a time instead whole words. Shouldn't be that much harder to allow for word-based Chinese entry. If that's developed, I think a numeric pad would be just fine for at least Chinese entry (Chinese being more compact than most European languages). I'd settle for a smaller screen if there is a keyboard. Basically I'd like the form factor of a typical "dumb" cell phone.

One way to solve the problem would be to go for an ultrathin slide-out keyboard/numeric pad.

By the way Gato, for about a year now Nokia has been making cell phones that predict Chinese characters and words based on pinyin input (minus the tones), and it not only predicts wonderfully, but it can predict 2, 3, and 4 character words, as well as being pretty good at predicting which words/characters you will want to use next. In addition you can even add words/phrases to a user dictionary so that they will pop up for you when typing in the pinyin. I do this a lot for place names of places I regularly meet people at. Just check out a 5200, 5300, or even a cheap model like the 2610 that has been out for a year now to see the newer more capable Nokia Chinese text prediction software. Beware however that some of the newer and more expensive models still don't have the stronger prediction algorithms built in. I think for example that the N70 doesn't have it. So anyone interested in buying a Nokia for its Chinese writing features needs to look carefully. Of course these all come with a small Chinese-English English-Chinese dictionary as well.

Just found a great piece of software to load on to the Touch - it's a touch screen numeric key pad with T9 - works great. Sending a text message is now just like sending a text on a normal mobile phone. This is working out to be the perfect device for me now.

LiAnCrow

秀才
crivens200:
Thanks for your input on the phone. I'm in HK now so just trying to decide if I want to get one with English ROM or traditional Chinese ROM. I really hate to have to use CE Star for sending text messages since the software is a bit buggy but on the other hand I am really not that familiar with traditional characters. arg.

LiAnCrow

秀才
I think there is another problem with Pleco and the HTC Touch. When writing the character with the stylus on the main screen (not the screen designed for character input) writing the character seems almost impossible. I think the Touch thinks I am trying to either perform a screen scroll or bring up the menu but not registering this as a stylus input. I have no problem going to the character menu for writing characters but find it more convenient writing on the main screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well that's odd - must be the touch software getting in the way, isn't it normally triggered when you drag your finger up from the bottom of the screen? Does the problem occur when you use the built-in Pocket PC handwriting input system too or does it only happen with PlecoDict?

I don't seem to have that problem. What OS are you using? Chinese or English?

My OS is english and have installed CE Star. Can write characters using pen power straight on to the main screen, no problem.

Bobbbbb

I've been thinking of buying the HTC touch but I see the cpu is only running at 201 MHz, is this a problem with anyone who has it? Is it noticeably slow?

LiAnCrow

秀才
This problem only occurs when using Pleco's handwriting input system but when using CE-Star's it works fine.

I'm guessing it is because the existence of a scroll bar on Pleco's main screen takes any sort of movement on the screen as an attempt to perform an auto scroll. But probably when using CE-Star since this is a separate application it's as if the scroll bar isn't there such is the reason why CE-Star doesn't cause any problems.

LiAnCrow

秀才
Oh, it's a great phone but at times can be a bit slugish. I originally had an Axim X51V and gave up a large VGA screen with a fast processor for a smaller and lower res screen. Looking back I'm glad I made the change mainly cause my primary use of the PDA was Pleco and scheduling so I really didn't take advatage of its power. I got tired of carying around a phone and PDA so decided to get the Touch mainly because of its size.

LiAnCrow

秀才
crivens200: how were you able to get the free version of CE-Star that is supposed to come included with the phone. Dopod's site does not make any sense at all on how to get the registered copy of CE-Star.