Having trouble finding/displaying this on my computer:

Pleco:
pl照片.PNG

It's not displaying correctly but I'm guessing it's this:
http://www.zisea.com/zscontent.asp?uni=E61D

http://bbs.zdic.net/thread-151530-1-1.html
Freeman said:
“扌刍”=【】,需要安装海峰字体包才可以看到。

I found a 包 on sina but It didn't help in displaying the character either...any direction on what can display this puppy?
::edit:: well it's half working...SunmanPUA [from unifonts6.0] seems to support this character but only when it's selected -- SunmanPUA doesn't seem to work with my internet browsers...pages [mac] works -- wordpress [windows] works...
does anyone know how to get SunmanPua working with firefox and textedit? any other programs?!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's a private-use character from Wenlin, actually - not part of Unicode, but it actually appears in Guifan too (though I don't know if we encoded it in our version correctly), and I think it may also be in 现代汉语词典。Given Wenlin's involvement in Unicode I suspect / hope it'll finally be part of the standard with Extension E.

That's a private-use character from Wenlin, actually - not part of Unicode, but it actually appears in Guifan too (though I don't know if we encoded it in our version correctly), and I think it may also be in 现代汉语词典。Given Wenlin's involvement in Unicode I suspect / hope it'll finally be part of the standard with Extension E.

what fonts can display it?!

I tried using the unifonts6.0 but it doesn't seem compatible with other programs, other than selecting it as a font inside of "pages" or what have you...

Only thing that can display it is on a computer Wenlin, AFAIK.
So after installing SunmanPUA from Unifonts6.0 and then properly configuring it inside firefox's font settings I was able to display,
http://www.zisea.com/zscontent.asp?uni=E61D: [if zisea is even considered a standard by any means or anything, I have no idea]
Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 11.44.11 AM.png

so although still not displaying properly inside of textedit I still tried importing it into my user dictionary:
pleco1.PNG

哦嚯, doesn't work...

--so then on the advice of above--
I opened up wenlin and copied wenlin's character into text edit and reimported the txt file into user dictionary with the following result:
pleco2.PNG

hooray!

now my question is which font is wenlin using to display this character & is there a way to install for the entire computer?!
UniFonts6.0's private user characters can be displayed when properly configured in other programs and it does seem that there are, at least, some Chinese people who do like to use these characters (a quick search through Baidu will tell you that) BUT it would be more useful if it were Wenlin's characters that could be displayed in other programs esp. considering that it is quite compatible with Pleco...or as per the discussion in the other thread - Wenlin also contains a lot of non-unicode characters that Wenlin itself has no problem displaying but if one wants to do anything with these characters that is a completely different story!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
now my question is which font is wenlin using to display this character & is there a way to install for the entire computer?!

Sadly no, it's not a standard font but rather a custom format that AFAIK isn't supported by any major operating system - we licensed their code to employ it in Pleco. (though we're actually planning to stop using it for text rendering and migrate to Hanazono in our next update, since it's gotten difficult to continue to accommodate it in all of iOS' various text-handling UI controls)