user db backup safe?

mfcb

状元
hi mike,

i use "FolderSync" to back up my userdb to my home NAS server.

is it safe to copy it at any time, right now i dont care, if pleco is running or not. of course i copy at 4o'clock in the morning, so there is little chance that i am reviewing cards at that time, i just want to be sure, that i dont produce unrecoverable backup-copies.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
hi mike,

i use "FolderSync" to back up my userdb to my home NAS server.

is it safe to copy it at any time, right now i dont care, if pleco is running or not. of course i copy at 4o'clock in the morning, so there is little chance that i am reviewing cards at that time, i just want to be sure, that i dont produce unrecoverable backup-copies.

As long as you back up the journal file too (it'll be a hidden file in the same directory as the flashcard database), you should be safe - SQLite is very robust and so pretty much never has a file in a state on disk from which it can't reliably recover.

My apologies if this is covered in the manual, since I haven't had time to review the technical section yet, but if it's not yet covered, a section on various ways to back up files would be helpful, in addition to anything that discusses file locations and conventions. I hope to finish reading/working through the entire manual soon, while it still helps!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
My apologies if this is covered in the manual, since I haven't had time to review the technical section yet, but if it's not yet covered, a section on various ways to back up files would be helpful, in addition to anything that discusses file locations and conventions. I hope to finish reading/working through the entire manual soon, while it still helps!

It's not, and indeed it ought to be :)