Touchscreen problems with Tungsten E2

dimin

Has anyone else encountered problems with the Tungsten E2's touchscreen, namely that the digitizer is messed up and doesn't properly recognize what you write with the stylus? I found this bit on Palm's forums (http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/messa ... ing&page=1), but I can't install the freeware recalibration software people suggest there-- I get a Runtime error when I try to "add" the program to the installer.

This renders Pleco almost useless for me because I can't write in characters to look them up. Anyone else with this problem using Pleco? I'm trying to think of ways to make this work without having to buy a new handheld all over again. I only bought the Tungsten a year ago to replace a broken Clie.

ipsi

状元
There's an alternative mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1790 . May not necessarily be the cheapest option, but it should be cheaper than buying a brand-new handheld. They may also be able to repair your Clie, if you preferred using that.

radioman

状元
Well, I have a few minutes, let me comment here.

The E2 on a good day is OK, but on a bad day is the nightmare of all - The calibration software will not help if you have the problem I think you have. You can and should try it to see if it helps.

Calibration software helps with the nuances of digitizer hat gets out of wack so as an example, the position 225,225 is being digitally read as 229,314 - so the software corrects it to a proper position. However, if digitizer breaks like mine did, the thing spikes out. So from a screen response perspective, 225,225 gets reported as 229,314, and then 225,226 gets reported as 225, -995, and 225,227 gets reported as 225,316. It is possible dirt around the edges could solve it, but more likely that is not the problem as the E2 is notorious for its fouled up digitizer. In my case, this "spikey/glitchy" behavior was maddening, and could only get corrected through replacement of the digitizer. I bought one on ebay as a kit and installed it without too much trouble. There are videos on Youtube that can show you how to do it. After the swap, there were still some minor issues, but it made the unit usable again.

The T5 is much better than the E2 in my experience. The memory issues are gone, the screen is much nicer (although not as bright as an iPhone) with a much bigger area, and the OS it came with was a bit more advanced.

The other nice thing about the T5 was that most all the accessories used for the e2 can be used for the T5 (and I think the TX as well). I picked up my T5 for 100 dollars on Ebay, and still use it after over half a year without any digitization glitches like that of the E2.

If you are looking for the cheapest route, get the digitizer fixed, either by yourself or using the outfit like the one ipsi mentions to fix it. Or if that outfit could upgrade your phone to a T5 or TX affordabily, I would recommend doing that.

Whatever you do, if you buy another Palm, or upgrade, I would talk to him/her/them directly BEFORE buying and grill them on the digitizer screen to make sure that they know what they are talking about when they say their unit's screen has no problem.

Good Luck!

dimin said:
Has anyone else encountered problems with the Tungsten E2's touchscreen, namely that the digitizer is messed up and doesn't properly recognize what you write with the stylus? I found this bit on Palm's forums (http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/messa ... ing&page=1), but I can't install the freeware recalibration software people suggest there-- I get a Runtime error when I try to "add" the program to the installer.

This renders Pleco almost useless for me because I can't write in characters to look them up. Anyone else with this problem using Pleco? I'm trying to think of ways to make this work without having to buy a new handheld all over again. I only bought the Tungsten a year ago to replace a broken Clie.

dimin

ipsi and radioman, thanks for the great advice. i contacted the "palm doctor" and am sending in my device to have the digitizer replaced. it's neither cheap or exorbitant-- $42 for plastic screen replacement and $50 for a glass one; shipping/handling not included. hopefully, this will put an end to my tungsten e2 headache. my hotsync stopped working a day afterwards too-- not sure if the two problems are related or not.

radioman

状元
On the matter of syncing, another comment I have, probably borne out of my experience as a Mac computer user, is that I ultimately dumped my hot syncing. I now move all my files using the SD memory card.

The Mac proved to be too much of a problem with regard to 3rd party applications, syncing challenges, configuration, etc. Pleco files, if you know how to organize them, can be easily onto the flashcard and moved onto the Palm using filez or some other file management program. Also, I use back up utility Pleco Mover (I think) to back up my flashcards onto the SD card that are then backed up on my computer.