Toolbar after long-pressing English word

Shun

状元
Hi Mike,

when I long-press on an English word in the Dictionary, the toolbar doesn't appear at the top of the screen like it does with Chinese words. (I would require the magnifying glass button.) Could this be a bug?

Thanks, Shun

Shun

状元
I see, but I don't quite understand, since it's a great way to get synonyms.

For myself, it doesn't matter, since I'm on iOS. It's just hurting my image of a "perfect Pleco" a little bit, when some basic features aren't included with the Android version and no explanation is given. Also the word magnification feature is missing on Android. Has it just not been added because of time constraints? Many things are easier to program on iOS, for sure, but for user interface elements like these, I doubt that it could get cumbersome.

The reason I'm asking is simply, I'm about to give a little "Pleco 3.2 Introduction" course to some fellow students (which I hope I'm allowed to do), where there are also many Android users attending, and I'd like to be in a position to explain to them why they can't benefit from this feature. (I had already contacted you by e-mail about another Pleco introduction earlier.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Certainly allowed, yes! :)

With text selection, that basically relates to the way that text display is implemented on Android versus iOS; on iOS the entire text view is a custom job, we're replicating the system copy menu anyway and so can easily add things to it, but on Android we're still using a standard system text view (albeit a subclass with some modifications) and hence still relying on the standard system text selection handles + toolbar for non-Chinese text. So it would be a lot of work to support this on Android (a ton of work, actually, given that our various modifications have to support everything from Android 4.0 to Android 7.0) and it's not something we've seen much interest in.

You can, however, share your selected text with Pleco to bring it up in a Pleco search box, and if you're running Android 6.0 or newer Pleco should also show up as an option right in the text selection menu.

The zoom feature wouldn't be as complicated, we just haven't had many requests for it - it was originally a way of accommodating some limitations in our iOS app's UI that never existed in our Android app's UI (as it debuted with something already halfway to 3.0). We originally removed it entirely in 3.0, a few people complained so we added it back as an off-by-default option, but that hasn't exactly increased awareness of it to the point where people have started demanding it on Android.

Shun

状元
That's great to hear, thanks! So it's a completely different architecture on Android. The "Share" trick works well. Understood about the zoom feature.