Switching(sigh!) from Palm to WM:PocketMac or MissingSync?

My Palm TX having given up the ghost (digitizer to be replaced), I've decided to switch to an HP iPAQ. I've just bought one in Taipei because I can't "survive" without a dictionary. It has a pre-installed Traditional WM.
From my bad past experience with MissingSync (Palm and Mac OS X) I noticed that Mike also recommends PocketMac. Has anyone opinions on whether PocketMac is actually better (and cheaper, although I wonder if I am entitled to an upgrade across platforms) than MissingSync. For example dealing with Mounting the SD card, installing extra European input languages and synchronizing files with accents from European languages without garbling up the names.

Any hep would be dearly appreciated.

Thanks
:?:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be honest, the most seamless sync experience on Mac is probably just to use an SD card reader - that's all you need to install Pleco, at least, and for other software installations you're really not much worse off copying .cab files to the card and launching them via File Explorer than you are installing them over a sync. Won't help with PIM-type stuff, though, or with actual synchronization (it's pretty much just one-way), so it's up to you whether those things matter enough to deal with installing sync software.

thanks, unfortunately I have been too much in a hurry to do that. Hard to do without Pleco for even one day. I was just thinking that installing the application in the internal memory might speed up things somehow.
I am supposed to get an new MacBook Pro with an SD card reader; this should make much easier for Mac users of Windows mobile.
Also, I have a Taiwanese version with WM in Trad. Chinese. Even though I can read most of the characters, I have never used WM and it's a bit daunting. So different from PalmOS.
I understand now why so many users said that PalmOS was obsolete. At the same time, WM requires too many clicks compared to PalmOS.

Next step, I am installing the demo and then retrieving the code from your site for the transfer

Thank you Mike, you're always there for advice. :)