Suggestions / BUGS PlecoDict

rapoto

探花
I start this thread and wish that all users place their bug-reports, etc. here in order to help the developers.

Here my first problem:
1. Can Pleco clarify (for those who still are in the dark - LIKE ME :roll: ) how to input all the SerialNumbers? I entereded three serial numbers - but it seems that there still are some missing. When I switch dictionaries, I get an error telling me that I did not enter all Serial Numbers...

2. I got a crash (freeze) when playing around for a while with the radical input for Chinese charaters... and switching between one stroke, two strokes, etc. etc.

--rapoto

rapoto

探花
I am unable to copy a text (e.g. Chinese) in e.g. the SMS application and paste it into PLECO Dict...!!!

This feature missing is a dramatic event!!!

--rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
In order:

1. In addition to the 3 codes in your PlecoDict upgrade order confirmation, there's actually a fourth code you need to enter that's found in that "Order Information from Pleco Software" e-mail you received after entering your e-mail address in that form on our website. It starts with "OX". This has confused a lot of people so in the future we'll probably include all your old and new PlecoDict registration codes in each confirmation e-mail.

2. That's odd... can you remember anything about which characters you were looking at? The radical system is still very much a work in progress, unfortunately...

And copy-and-paste isn't enabled yet but will be soon; see http://www.pleco.com/plecodict.html for a list of other such features. The reason it doesn't work already is that to copy-and-paste Chinese text correctly we have to convert between the GB/Big5 text encodings used by other software on Palm OS and the Unicode encoding that we use, and we've only recently gotten those converters up and running. There should be an update soon that fixes this.

rapoto

探花
Thanx for the detailed reply...

mikelove said:
In order:

1. In addition to the 3 codes in your PlecoDict upgrade order confirmation, there's actually a fourth code you need to enter that's found in that "Order Information from Pleco Software" e-mail you received after entering your e-mail address in that form on our website. It starts with "OX". This has confused a lot of people so in the future we'll probably include all your old and new PlecoDict registration codes in each confirmation e-mail.

I will look for the OX... code now... wow- what a secure unlocking procedure - safer than a Swiss bank safe... :D

mikelove said:
2. That's odd... can you remember anything about which characters you were looking at? The radical system is still very much a work in progress, unfortunately...

It was a nasty character - I was testing the Dictionary... It is three times tha character for "female" nv... one on top, two at the bottom. But I retried - and it did not freeze... I will keep looking when and why it freezes... if it is PLECO dits reason... lets hope not!

mikelove said:
And copy-and-paste isn't enabled yet but will be soon; see http://www.pleco.com/plecodict.html for a list of other such features. The reason it doesn't work already is that to copy-and-paste Chinese text correctly we have to convert between the GB/Big5 text encodings used by other software on Palm OS and the Unicode encoding that we use, and we've only recently gotten those converters up and running. There should be an update soon that fixes this.

GREAT! I will look into that URL and look forward to these features!

--rapoto

rapoto

探花
Mike,

It seems that I cannot enter CHINESE words in the Chinese English dictionary - but only Hanyu PinYin... I have CJKOS... But I am unable to enter Chinese words in the input field...

--rapoto

rapoto

探花
mikelove said:
In order:

... I canot find the OX...code... I dont have one.

--rapoto

rapoto

探花
rapoto said:
Mike,

It seems that I cannot enter CHINESE words in the Chinese English dictionary - but only Hanyu PinYin... I have CJKOS... But I am unable to enter Chinese words in the input field...

--rapoto

...okay, I saw in the TO BE DONE FEATURE list that the CJKOS input method is to be added.

Great!

--rapoto

A

Anonymous

Bug causes CRASH...

I don't know which application, and I also don't know in what pattern it happens, but I am sure now that PLECO dict causes crashes - after removing it and installing the old Oxford DICT, the system is stable again.

Here a list of my applications installed:

MegaClock 2.0
Documents To Go 7.002(829)
SplashID 2.55
SmapperMail 2.0.6.01
CallFilter (For Treo 600) 1.2 Build: Sep 17 2004 18:54:27
VeriChat 2.23b
PocketTunes 3.0.4 Deluxe
CJKOS 4.61
TAKEphONE 6.00 Build (01)

The crash happens when switching to Chinese input method (CJKOS) with the OPT-SPACE keys. It does not happen always - maybe one time out of 10 or 1 time out of 20 times... very irregular... kind of random.

The Treo 600 then simply makes a soft rest... and works fine again.

I have ENGLISH set-up as operating system, and have the newest Firmware: 3.05
Software: Treo600-1.12-ROW

For now, I had to remove the dictionary again. BEfore I did so, I Hard-Reset my Treo about 4 times and installed one software after the other by hand (not restoring the TREO as it was before!!!)

So this was a lot of work - but now I am sure none of the other apps conflict - only after PLECO Dict is installed it crashes...

--rapoto

A

Anonymous

As Pampuk wrote, the fonts are really ugly... in the English, some lower parts of the letters are being cut off... ('q' and 'g' look the same!)

The horizontal positioning of the letters is varying (maybe due to the tone marks or other punctuation)... not nice!

many icons do not display what they actually do... you could take a look at TAKEphONE (http://www.shsh.com)... this software is much cheaper. But one can change a lot of the design layouts. And in adition, this software has a built-in help file... VERY DETAILED FOR EACH SCREEN AND EACH FUNCTION!!!

Still a lot of work to be done...

--rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For the crashing problem, are you using the latest fixed version (available on the download page as "pd811-kbdfix.zip")? That should fix the keyboard-related crashes.

As for the icons/fonts, we're aware of all of these problems and working to fix them. And there will indeed be built-in help, the reason there isn't yet is that we're still tweaking the design and features and it seemed like a waste of effort to write help files which we'd just need to update when the finished version came out.

So yes, there's a lot of work left to do, we've admitted that quite openly from day 1. But the final result should be well worth the wait :D

A

Anonymous

Hi Mike ... (Huang-Di) ... :)

No, I most likely did not use the latest update. I am on the road now and only have access through a GPRS-card (wireless)... so I will have to wait until I get back to my home and download the file(s) with high-speed.

Thank you for the other replies and the promisses of work to be done. Again - all comments and critics are only meant to make PLECO-dict a great program!

Thank you,
--rapoto

rapoto

探花
The new release 0.82 is good work!

Now I can see which of the dictionaries are installed and registered with the serial number.

I realized now that I dod not have the serial number for my old Oxford Dict... Where do I find those now? :)

Thanx,
--rapoto

A

Anonymous

Command Bar access from within Flashcards?

Using the flashcards with Oxford dict. I sometimes come across characters in the definition that I don't understand. It would be very convenient if it were possible to look up the definition of a character without quitting the flashcard session!

Right now I get around it by having both Oxford and Plecodict installed, and, while in a Oxford flashcard session, using the Command Bar access to look up definitions in Plecodict.

Will there be anything like this in the final version of Plecodict? Another option would be simply to 'pause' the flashcard session and cut/paste . . .

thanks, Henry

rapoto

探花
I would also vote for Henry's suggestion. Good one.

By the way, on the TREO 600, how can I access the PLECO DICT the fastest way from another application to look up some selected text? And how to jump back quickly?

Thanx,
--Rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's an interesting idea. I think this is something we can implement within our new "Character Info" screen - this is sort of like the Instant Access screen, except that because it's running from within PlecoDict we can use it for some other features. Basically it displays the magnified versions of one or more characters at the top of the screen, with various bits of information (pronunciation, radical, stroke count, encoding, etc) from the UniHan character database listed below - it would be pretty easy to add the option for a dictionary definition into this mix as well. We'd been trying to think of reasons why people would want to use this instead of the "Copy to Input Field" feature, and this definitely qualifies as one of them.

As for the Treo 600, I'm afraid there isn't a good way to use Instant Access on a keyboard-only device right now; the best option at the moment would be to download a screen handwriting software package like NewPen and use that. Though if you're feeling adventurous you could also try our (stlil in development) Instant Access DA - we were originally going to include it in 0.82 but it seemed a little buggy so we decided not to. I'll put it on our website anyway, you can download it here. Install it along with a DA launcher program like McPhling and you can use that to launch it from the keyboard.

Jim

榜眼
changing languages

I have found a minor but irritating glitch. With the old Oxford you could highlight one word in a definition, change languages to see its definition then change languages again back to the same word and definition. With Plecodict the second change doesn't go back to the original word but instead to the first word in the dictionary. The original way was handy for checking each word in multiple definitions to see which was most suitable.