Strange result in the experimental "character components" function

Jim Kay

举人
I looked up 妙 and then played around with the Character Components experimental feature.

The results I got were a bit of a surprise so I thought I'd report that. (I Photoshopped in my notes.)

I REALLY love this feature, it answers questions I've asked my teacher many times. So I'd like to help make it work better.

WP_000322.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's a known problem that should be addressed in the next update (in fact the main reason why this feature remains "experimental") - thanks.

Eduardo

hi. How can I get this feature? I really need it and I don't see any related add-on.
A suggestion: have you contacted the creators of www.zhongwen.com? This site contains the best explanations I've seen on characters' components and ethimological construction.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's no add-on needed anymore, you get it in the "Chars" tab when viewing a single-character entry.

We did indeed reach out to the zhongwen.com folks and they weren't interested in working with us.

Eduardo

thanks, but I‘ m in the dictionary, viewing a single word like "hao", and I still can‘ t find the "chars" tab. Please, help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, since this was in the iOS forum I assumed you were on iOS. On Android it currently requires the Stroke Order Diagrams add-on, as we haven't yet ported our new character breakdown database to Android.