Split category into child categories

Ink

I'm trying to split a flashcard category into smaller, easier to handle child categories, which I want to be in alphabetical order. However, I can't seem to do it. This is what I've done. First, I've arranged the parent category into alphabetical order by selecting "sort by pronunciation". Then, I've selected "split into categories of 70" and chosen the "sequential" option. This gives me 8 child categories named by default Part 1 ~ 8. My understanding is that the first ⅛ 0f the parent category should go into Part 1, the second ⅛ into Part 2 etc, but this doesn't seem to be the case. In Part 1 ~ 3, I have flashcards running from B to Z. Then in Part 4, A ~ Z. Part 5, H ~ W. Part 6, A ~ Z. Part 7, J ~ T. Part 8, T ~ Z. Only Part 7 and 8 seem to be doing what I expected, which is running in sequential order. I don't understand why Part 1 ~ 6 don't seem to be doing the same. If anyone could show me where I'm going wrong, I'd most appreciate it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry about that. Try tapping 'convert to custom order' in the Card Sort Order option screen before you do your split and that should get it to work correctly. (the 'split' function goes by the custom order + doesn't respect your sort order setting, though there's certainly an argument that it ought to)

Ink

Thank you. My parent category is now split into a number of child categories that run alphabetically and in sequential order, exactly as I wanted. The only issue I had was selecting custom order immediately put the list into the order I originaly created it, resulting in too many cards to sort manually. However this was easily overcome by first sorting the card order by pronunciation, then copying this alphabetically ordered list into a new temporarily-created category. Doing this meant the custom order of the temporarily-created category was in alohabetical order and not in the order I originaly created it. I was then able to proceed as instructed. Thanks for your prompt reply and help.