Sharing the registration code

Nihao!

My friend has the registration code for Pleco and I was wondering if it would be a copyright infringement to use their code. If so, is it possible for other people to use the same code even though it's illegal, or does Pleco keep people from using the same code by rejecting that code in some way?

Obviously I don't want to steal by using their code without permission, so please be aware of that when responding. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Theoretically possible, but restricted in volume (can't do it too many times or you start getting errors), and we do indeed consider it a license violation.

And the consequences for sharing IDs may increase in the future; for example, it's likely that there will be some amount of free functionality in our future online offering that one can access based on a past offline Pleco purchase, and given that most iOS / Android purchases are anonymous, people will probably be able to claim access to that based on nothing but a Registration ID. So sharing your ID with friends might mean that one of those friends would be able to claim a free online Pleco account and you would be unable to do so yourself because they would have already taken it. (even if you have multiple IDs, or a different ID on iOS versus Android)

I should add that if we did roll out something like that we would almost certainly provide a warning and some sort of grace period first - an opportunity to tell us that you'd shared your ID and provide us with some evidence that you were the original purchaser based on which we would cancel that ID and give you a new ID that your friends did not have access to.