Screen reader enabled in os and Pleco but its not there

Im running Android 4.4.4 KTU84P MIUI Version 8.2.1.0 Stable on a Redmi 1s with Pleco v 3.2.43 .

The problem is that i cant get the screen reader to get active. I am not running any dimming software and the option is actived in my OS.

Any thoughts?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Screen Reader on Chinese OEM forks of Android like MIUI / EMUI / FlymeOS / etc tends to be something of an adventure, since they keep coming up with creative new ways to restrict the operations of screen overlay apps and then bury the settings for overriding them. (we're hoping that now that Google has a standard way to manage screen overlay permissions in Android 6/7 they might eventually migrate to that, but we're not holding our breath...)

Anyway, to fix this, dig around in the system Settings app and you should eventually unearth an option to let Pleco overlay the screen - it might be under Apps (as a permission you can enable in Pleco's own page) or it might be in security or display or some other random place.

The strange thing is it used to work before and i cant remember updating my phone recently but than again i also cant remember using this function recently...

Anyway I went to the Security app> Permissions>Pleco> and enabled Display pop-up windows and now it works again.

Thx for the help.