Recommondations for non-Chinese dictionary apps

kiraven

举人
Hi all,
it does not really fit in this sub forum, but I thought others might have had the same question.

I enjoy using Pleco. The dictionaries are plenty and good, and the app itself as a platform is well thought out and convenient to use. I am learning other languages too. I would like to find equally good dictionary apps for these, but have failed so far.

Based on my experience with Pleco, features of a good app include:
  • various (offline) dictionaries available, ability to use both mono- and bilingual dictionaries. I really like the idea of a dictionary app as a platform, in which I then use my dictionaries
  • offline recordings / pronunciation
  • good support and active development
  • cross platform licence - ability to transfer between Android and iOS when changing devices
  • easy to use, for example when having to look up a lot of words when reading a book
  • good optical presentation of dictionary entries
  • example sentences
  • build in reader or connection to other readers.
  • possibly not too expensive, currently some dictionaries charge like 50 $ and offer way less than Pleco's big dictionaries
  • in general all features Pleco offers :)
So far my experience has been that only very few dictionaries can be used offline. Many of them have a clunky interface, are expensive and can not be tested before buying, and can not be transferred between iOS and Android. Overall, the market seems to be domineered by Paragon.

I am especially interested in French-German, French-English and English-German, but would in general be interested what dictionary apps you are using and can recommend. Or, the other way round, are there any you would advise against?

Shun

状元
Hi kiraven,

to my knowledge, Langenscheidt and PONS offer the highest-quality dictionaries for iOS (Advanced versions about $20). They are offline with offline pronunciations. Each language pair comes as a separate app. You'd have to check with them about migrating between platforms.

The best open source offline dictionary likely is dict.cc+ (includes many language pairs, English-German has about 1.1m word pairs) at about $4, but this only has online pronunciations and few example sentences.

I use dict.cc+ the most, it also allows exporting of your Favorites/history by E-Mail.

kiraven

举人
Hi Shun,

thanks for your response! Looks like dictionary prices also vary depending on the country of the Apple id / App Store. For me, the Pons Advanced is with 23 € cheaper than I remembered, but Langenscheidt still asks for 50 €…
Both use Paragon Slovoed, but it looks like there is no alternative. I also downloaded Abby Lingvo, which offers a really big number of dictionaries. However, I don't know the publishers behind their dictionaries, so I think I have to do some more searching around to find out if their quality is ok.