Problems with Traditional Characters displayed with Zhuyin Ruby text

teh yoshi

This is something I've noticed for nearly a year, but was too lazy to say anything about it.

When viewing, for example, sentences with traditional characters and Zhuyin Ruby text, any character with a Simplified correspondent that also exists in the Traditional set will always default to displaying that Simplified character. So words like 麵, 後, and 麼 will always end up being 面, 后, and 么 respectively. (A weird exception to this is 藥 always becoming 药 for some reason, and all instances of either 發 and 髮 always defaults to 發)

Traditional characters display correctly otherwise, such as showing pronunciation set to Zhuyin not set to Ruby text.

sima

on the topic of displaying Ruby text, would it be possible to include the option to display Ruby above or below characters. Ruby text looks great and usable on one character, but I still don't use it as any compounds or short phrases (in my flashcards) get bulked out so heavily by the Ruby text fixed to the right if every character. at the moment I have zhuyin running underneath, but it doesn't match directly up to the characters and is often uncomfortable to read.

as someone who loves reading Chinese vertically, maybe……… we could get the headword bar in the corner vertically with Ruby text to the right? haha I'm guessing that would be a coding and design nightmare, but man it would be so good to look at ;)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already in the works, yes.

And yeah, it would indeed be a coding nightmare to make the whole thing vertical :)