Possible way to run Pleco on Nokia N810/800/770

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Access just released the first beta of their Palm OS virtual machine for the Nokia N810/800/770 series internet tablets:

http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

We don't have one of these here to test on, but does anyone feel like trying this out and posting feedback? If it runs well (as I'd have to think it would, being created by the company that owns Palm OS) it might provide a way for Pleco users who absolutely can't stand Palm or Pocket PC to tide themselves over until we get an iPhone/Symbian/whatever version out.

This is actually the reason I dropped in today. I can't wait for someone to test the emulation out with Pleco. Any chance you'd be willing to offer incentives (a free dictionary or something) for the first person to test it and video using all of the functions?

Do N series devices have a stylus, or do they rely on finger input?

benzhen

进士
ha i was just about to post the news when i saw this post. this might be the deal breaker for me for buying one of these!!!! especially with gps and all. i am so done with palm devices!!! would love to know if anyone can try one of these!

ben

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm pretty sure they use stylii. And since this is an official ACCESS product we can probably justify getting one of these ourselves to test on if nobody comes forward with any test results soon - would be nice to be able to list as an officially-supported model, even if the current release of ACCESS' emulator doesn't seem to be able to use the whole screen yet. (would be very easy for us to get the main Pleco interface using the entire screen if they added a hook to Palm OS to enable that resolution, but at the moment they don't even seem to use scaling so it's just in a small window) These can be had for under $250 in some places so they'd actually be a cheaper WiFi-equipped alternative to the TX.

This is a pretty early release. On the access product page, it talks about 80% compatibility with what they've tested so far, and asks users to submit compatibility reports for their favorite programs. That sounds like there will be some improvements down the road, maybe even with some of the features you mentioned.

David Beers already suggested the possibility of Access turning Palm into a multiplatform execution environment over a year ago. It's starting to look like a good call, and if that's the path, then this is more than novelty release and could be a huge boon for the Palm platform and all it's developers.

mikelove said:
These can be had for under $250 in some places so they'd actually be a cheaper WiFi-equipped alternative to the TX.

To wit, if someone grabs the n810, they get qwerty too. I hate using my Tx's onscreen keyboard for entry.

I'm glad this is on your radar, and so quickly too. It's one of the reasons I love Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, we now have an N800 on order (they're only $230 on Buy.com, so almost Tungsten E2 territory) so hopefully next week we'll know whether or not Pleco is usable on these. Performance may be a bit of an issue with 2.0 if this doesn't support ARM acceleration, but since StyleTap managed to get ARM code working in an emulator I'm guessing ACCESS can figure out how to do it too eventually, and 1.0 doesn't use any ARM code and hence should be fine on this performance-wise.

I actually made a similar suggestion to David's on these forums a while ago, that ACCESS might be trying to turn Palm OS into a multiplatform VM like Java - this certainly seems to vindicate the decision to keep supporting Palm OS with Pleco 2.0, anyway.

crsmyr26

Nokia N800 advice

This is probably not the right forum for this but my Palm TX was stolen or lost a few months ago. The only reason I need a palm is for my Pleco dictionary so that’s my number one concern while looking for a new system. A nice bonus would be good web/email options, good multimedia options and gps. If Pleco can be run on the Nokia N800 is that a good system for what I need?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well, Pleco on the N800 works a little but not very well. It crashes whenever you try to open the handwriting recognizer, though I'm fairly certain this is because of the use of shared libraries, which is something we could easily work around with 10 minutes or so of recompiling. It's also very spotty for loading the large dictionary databases, mainly because they don't seem to have an expansion card simulator yet and the internal memory file loader doesn't handle large files very well (even if you configure it with enough memory). And the screen space is tiny. But the potential is definitely there, at least, so maybe in a few months once they've added expansion card support and screen resolution scaling and we've figured out this shared library thing it'll be possible to run Pleco well on one of these.

I've just purchased a Nokia N800 from Amazon which should arrive by the end of the week. I'm heavily tech-savvy and plan on installing OS2008 and Garnet VM Beta as soon as its in my hot hands.

I'm moving to Taiwan (at the end of January) to teach English for a number of years and (hopefully) become fluent in Mandarin - not without a little help from the technological gods of course. Thus, I embarked on my journey today looking for a usable English->Chinese->English Dictionary. My first stop was portable dict's like the BBK and Ectaco models which quickly jumped to researching the Palm TX functionality with Pleco (for the obvious benefits of Character input, pinyin support, etc). I delved into PDA forums for a few hours and came out with a hand-full of uncertainty about reliability, upgradeability, longevity, open-source functionality, and the like. Palm OS and iPaq models were reviewed as either being great at first, with poor longevity (Palm) or high-pricing and poor OS support (iPaq). Then I checked out the Nokia Nseries.

Obviously, Nokia is known for superior quality in manufacturing, open-source support, longevity, etc. My friend, who is head-IT at a local University, has had the same Nokia Phone for 6 or 7 years (one of the cutting-edge pioneers in Smartphoning: the 3650) which he has proceeded to mod out to the max via open-source software over the years. Point being, Nokia is by far and away the poster child for those who have some to a lot of technical proficiency and a little ingenuity to mold their electronics to suit their interests.

So after reviewing Palms, iPaqs and the like - the Nokia N800 with its $230.00 price tag (Amazon), recent release of stable OS2008, and Garnet VM Beta (ACCESS), and slick extras like Bluetooth Keyboard/GPS add-ons - was the ideal piece of equipment with everything I wanted at a bargain-bin price AND Nokia's exceptional craftsmanship - despite the few reviewed drawbacks like a so-so screen (in terms of pressure-sensitivity) and some wonky buttons - what more could you want? For that price and expandability, a small price to pay I say.

Only other drawback - the one thing I began my quest in search for, a PDA or other Electronic unit that acted as a sweet E->Ch Dict., was somewhat...untested on the Nokia Nseries (as far as Pleco goes anyway) - save for the few posts on this forum topic where Mikelove has vouched for its potential, but currently unstable performance on the N800.

SO, the point of all of THAT backstory is that I will have this lil' gizmo-wondertoy fully-loaded and ready to rock out by the end of the week whereupon I will get GarnetVM in full effect and FINALLY: testing PlecoDict. on the N800 via Garnet VM. I've seen all the test-footage of GarnetVM and seeing as how its JUST been released and has plenty of (relative) time to mature, I'm guessing they will be able to fix issues like the resolution (e.g. "Tiny emulated Palm screen"). I saw them change the orientation of the Garnet VM App. window on the Nokia Screen, but they DEFINITELY need to add-in some expandable window functionality - then methinks, we'd really have something, no?

I will nab the Trial versions of both Basic and Complete PlecoDict.'s for trial on the new toy and let everyone know how it pans out. I've got my fingers crossed for sure as GarnetVM claims to have App. support of like 30,000+ progs, but if Pleco doesn't happen to be one of them, then I guess I'm just left with a sweet portable that has mp3, PDA, voIP, GPS, VidCam, Web-browsing, and Skype-ready capabilities...oh well :roll: happy Surfing!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's a nice system, but the Pleco situation isn't all that good right now. Hopefully a few more releases of the Garnet VM will get things working smoothly, though - Pleco is plenty stable on the desktop emulator so there's no reason it couldn't be so on the N800.

SUCCESS!!! PlecoDict Basic (demo) definitely DOES run on the Garnet VM Platform. After fooling around with the Hotsync function for awhile and encountering some "Backup Failure" errors, I thought all was lost...but there was a last resort. I ended up downloading the ppox103.zip file (Manual install) and simply moving the files contained within to the SD card in my N800. I booted up GarnetVM, and then had to (a bit tediously) install every file in every folder (around 15 in all) - which in actuality, only took about 10 mins since they all install instantaneously.

Holding my breath, I rebooted GarnetVM, launched PlecoDict and.........TADA!Everything works; English->Chinese->English Dicts, Character Recognition (Although it seems a little glitchy: you have to press with moderate pressure, draw very smoothly in single strokes, and possibly teach each stroke - I'm not really sure how deep the configuration of this function goes as I only got to play around with the demo). BUT, bottom line is it does run (in portrait or landscape) and its plenty big enough to use on the N800. As far as I know, this is the first instance of an English-Chinese Dict. working on the N800 - and since I'm moving to Taiwan in about 2 weeks, I was admittedly a bit worried that it wouldn't work on GarnetVM - but no worries now!

(*nudges PlecoForum Admins* - maybe a little compensation for my diligent work getting this operational? Demo's are fine and all, but a discounted Complete version would be so much more useful! :lol: )

Either way, I'm just happy to report that you can, in fact, get this Utility working on what I think is the sweetest handheld tablet/Palm replacement ever made (so far). Thanks to all the GarnetVM and Pleco coders who made this possible.

Cheers!

p.s. I have 3 screenshot images to upload, but don't seem to be able to upload .jpgs (without admin. approval?)

Attachments

• PlecoMain.jpg
    PlecoMain.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5,600
  • Pleco4.jpg
    Pleco4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 5,613
  • Pleco6.jpg
    Pleco6.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 5,631

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Glad to hear it. Not sure why handwriting recognition didn't work in our tests, but we did our testing on OS2007 so perhaps the 2008 version of Garnet VM has fixed the shared library bug. Have to try upgrading our own N800 I guess... with attachments, make sure the images are sized smaller than 256k, the forum software doesn't like large attachments.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, sorry, I didn't realize there was another control panel in phpBB where image attachments might have been disabled - fixed now, you should be able to upload away.

anton

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has spent more time testing Pleco on the N800. I am considering getting a n810 in order to get the keyboard and primarily for running Pleco. Any advice? Also excited about the prospect of Pleco on the new Sony X1.

Anton in Shanghai

I have a late update. So, pleco demo runs fine and dandy on my N800, but tried buying and unlocking the basic version and it repeatedly crashes when I try to use. I'm sure it will work in the future, but for now its seemingly unstable.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's odd... might be something to do with the user dictionary databases, which are only created when the software is purchased/unlocked. Or maybe it's something to do with the number of open databases - if you feel like experimenting, some things you could try are unlocking it immediately the first time it's run (i.e., delete it, reinstall it, run PDUnlock and then launch it for the first time), installing it without a handwriting recognizer, and installing it without one of the dictionary databases (so it would only be Oxford C-E or Oxford E-C but not both).

This Thread is a bit stale but it relates to what I really want to know. . . . Has any one actually gotten a full version of Pleco to work on the n810? If so, how difficult was it to get working and are there any annoying issues?