PlecoDict WM6.1 odd problem + solution

ximinez

I'm posting a strange problem along with a solution I've found, just in case someone has encountered the same thing.

I'm running WM6.1 on my HP iPAQ hx4700 and use it mainly for dictionaries. Yesterday I did a general system backup using Spb Backup. After it completed copying data it soft-resetted my device and, somehow, deleted all the data on my device. I thought I should just use my backup to restore everything, but the backup was somehow corrupted and I bricked the device. I had to reflash the rom and do the restore again. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to run Pleco. It didn't (for reasons unknown) start, in fact, it did nothing. I copied the .cab installers (I hate ActiveSync) onto the SD card, to a folder named "Pleco". I reinstalled the dictionary, but the symptoms persisted. I tried everything I could think of (manually deleting files, removing Pleco residue from the registry, reinstalling one thing at a time), except doing a clean reset and manually restoring every program I had previously had installed. In the process, I did not notice the folder name on the SD card changed from "Pleco" to "PLECO" (who pays attention to capitals, right?). Finally, out of desperation I pulled out the SD and run the dictionary. It worked. Turns out you can't install the dictionary in the onboard memory and still have a folder named "PLECO" on the SD. It confuses the hell out of PlecoDict :)

Hope this will help someone. I know it would have saved me a lot of time and stress if I knew what the problem is right away. I'm addicted to PlecoDict, as I'm a 5th year sinology student, and I'm really looking forward to the 2.0! Keep up the good work (and I will keep paying you money ;) )!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting - we've gotten a few bug reports about the software refusing to start up, but the problem usually seems to be cleared up by a soft reset. I don't know if the capitalization itself is to blame, though; Windows doesn't pay much attention internally to the way directories / files are capitalized. Perhaps there was something else in the way the SD card was configured that was causing it to hang up - were there any other Pleco-related files on the card? Was it just the five (six?) Pleco .cab files inside of the PLECO folder or were there other files in there? Was PLECO on the root directory of the card or was it inside of Program Files?