Pleco Jira?

Hi,
I am wondering if there are any plans to introduce a bug/new feature tracking system for Pleco, such as Jira?
While the forum is an excellent place for discussing things, I would say it may be beneficial to have a separate system that allows users and developers to easily track the status of bugs and new feature requests.
Jira would be one option (we use it at work) , but I guess there are a few others out there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm generally wary of systems like this because users aren't developers; user feedback is one input into our decision-making process, but it's not the only one. They work great for open-source projects, where the users actually are the developers / the public shares responsibility for product management, but for closed-source commercial software I don't think they're a sensible way to organize things.

Also, public issue tracking tends to create a lot of confusion for users who don't understand well how software development works - the fact that often features get cut or that it seems like we're letting a lot of bugs go unfixed or that we're implementing a lot of features nobody asked for or not implementing a feature everybody is asking for.

There's also the fact that it clues in any competitors / would-be competitors into exactly what we're working on - nowadays app development moves so quickly that somebody else might very well be able to implement and release an app based on an idea of ours before we do. Or they might see that we're not working on a particular feature and decide to work on it themselves in the hope of luring away users. (our latest design for our flashcard SRS algorithm is so amazing that we're not even discussing it in the forums for fear of somebody copying it / releasing a product based on it before we do)

denmitch

探花
Well that just piqued my curiosity.
I look forward to 'so amazing'.
'Ready for Beta testing' so says I!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one will be a little while - as an overall concept for SRS it's spectacular but it will require quite a bit of refinement before we can release it; probably 3.3 or 3.4 though we'll be laying a lot of the groundwork in 3.2.