Pleco handwriting recognition as regular input method

Abun

榜眼
While once again marvelling at the accuracy of Pleco's handwriting recognition, even with rather cursive and messy handwritings like my own, an idea came to me:
I think it would be awesome if I could use it as a normal input software for doing anything you would with the built-in keyboard inputs, writing messages, editing documents, surfing the internet ect.? Would it need a lot of work to implement it that way (for those users who have purchased the add-on, obviously)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It'd be expensive to license - our current license to our handwriting engine doesn't cover use as an IME and we'd have to spend more money to add it. Further complicating the financial picture is the fact that it would really only be interesting on Android - iOS does support third party keyboards, but it doesn't allow them to overlay the whole screen, so handwriting input would be confined to a small box.

Abun

榜眼
Ah, I didn't consider licensing might be an issue... Shame. Full screen or no, the main strength for me is that it recognizes even the most awfully scribbled characters correctly; I have yet to find a handwriting recognition software that can even come close to it. Many seem to rely on the stroke number and order to be correct. Which (from the point of view of the software) tends not to be the case when you are a lazy writer who is used to not raising their pen/finger after every stroke.