Pleco for Android 3.2 Beta 1

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
First beta of the next dot-x update, with a few nice new mostly-flashcard-oriented features. Basically, we think it's going to be a little while yet before we have our flashcard database format revamp done and we wanted to get some much-requested improvements for those in before then.

If you previously signed up for beta testing through Google Play, this new beta should show up as an update within a few hours. Otherwise, you can get it:

a) Through Google Play. Sign up for our Android Beta Testing group at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pleco-android-beta-testing

And then sign up for beta versions of Pleco at:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.pleco.chinesesystem

after which you should be able to get it right from them. (this isn't up yet but should be in a few hours)

b) Directly from our website; APK at:

http://cdn.pleco.com/androidapps/plecodroid-140909.apk

The Google Play version makes it easier for us to collect crash reports, so please use that one if you can.

List of changes:

* Added Cantonese support to flashcards; enable this in New Test / Display / Use Cantonese. (paid flashcard add-on only) This applies everywhere - display of cards but also audio playback and even fill-in-the blanks / tone practice. When you enable "Use Cantonese" a prompt will appear to offer to fill in Cantonese readings for cards that don't have them; you can also do this through Organize Cards / Edit / Batch, and assuming that you have Cantonese enabled, Pleco wil automatically attempt to add Cantonese readings for any new cards when you create or import them.

In import files, to import Cantonese enclose it in {} brackets and put it at the end of the second column (where Pinyin normally goes); for consistency we currently only accept / output Jyutping romanization in flashcard import/export files.

* Added the option to repeat incorrect cards during a flashcard test instead of at the end of it, via a new "time" option for "repeat incorrect" (in New Test / Commands). This will happen at a fixed but customizable interval after the incorrect answer - we don't try to SRS it (we're unconvinced that that would help). If any incorrect cards are still pending at the end of the test, it will continue cycling through those until you get each of them correct (as with the current repeat incorrect / loop behavior).

* Added support for efficiently adding example sentences to flashcards. Go into Settings / Definition screen and turn on "+ button for each example" to enable that; after you do, a flashcard + button will appear at the end of every example sentence (if it includes English).

* Added new commands in Edit / Organize Cards / Batch to automatically generate missing simplified, traditional, Mandarin, and Cantonese readings for cards. Also added a option to Import Cards to invoke this behavior in imports. We also added options to delete the current contents of those fields (in case you find yourself with some Cantonese you want to remove, say), to remove hidden custom definitions (we leave those in your database if you remap cards to the dictionary), and to swap the simplified / traditional fields (in case you import some cards incorrectly and don't catch it right away).

* Made Cantonese work better when the Mandarin pronunciation mode is set to "blank" (so that there's no Mandarin displayed at all) - Cantonese readings + audio buttons should now appear correctly in that case.

* Made multiple-choice choices appear in a smaller font / prompt for confirmation (if you've enabled the relevant option in Test Settings) for characters and Pinyin/Zhuyin (not just English) if the text is long enough to need it.

* Added a tap-hold dictionary selection menu for the flashcard dictionary change button.

* Dramatically boosted speed of some types of Chinese search through a couple of optimizations to our database access system.

* Added a more powerful text segmentation system (something to break long strings of Chinese text up into their component words). It's still somewhat experimental, so for now we only deploy it by default for the above automatic text generation features in flashcards, but if you turn on "Intelligent segmentation" in Settings / Search Engine it will try to use it for multi-character breakdown searches too.

* Made the custom flashcard / user dictionary entry screens from the popup reader + OCR fill in opposite character set / Pinyin / definition just as the ones from search results now do.

* Made searches with trailing * characters no longer sort by length.

* Made flashcard category tags now appear for all of the cards for a particular dictionary entry (in the event that you have duplicate cards).

* Added support for radical characters to our "enhanced" handwriting recognizer (download the updated version of that in Add-ons, then enable radical recognition in Settings / Input Methods / Handwriting).

* Fixed a bug that could cause laggy / halting scrolling through search results on some devices.

* Fixed a bug that made it possible to deselect the text input boxes in tone practice tests and made it possible for tones to fail to enter correctly when you did.

* Fixed a bug that caused text-to-speech to fail to acknowledge / pause for punctuation marks.

* Fixed a bug that could cause the flashcard "convert to dict-based card" command to yield inexact matches.

* Fixed a bug that could cause wacky popup reader behavior for strings of text that contained wildcard characters.

* Fixed a bug that made apostrophes before bolded headword pinyin in example sentences appear bold when they weren't supposed to.

* Fixed a bug that made headers in user dictionary entries list "PY" even when displaying Zhuyin text.

* Fixed a few bugs in parsing of Yale romanized Cantonese text (though we're still working on the 'h' problem).

* Fixed a few crashing bugs.

ckatt

状元
Still unavailable through the play store. If i download the apk here is it easy to switch to the play version later?

Taichi

榜眼
Cool! I have a qq.
"incorrect cards during a flashcard test" doesn't effect the score just like "at the end of the test" does?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@ckatt - sorry about that, should be fixed now.

@Taichi - they shouldn't - if you find that they are then that's a bug so please let us know about it :)

So tapping on the dictionary switch button no longer works the way it used to? What about tap-holding?

NomekSan

举人
There seems to ve a bug with the New repeat during test feature. It is still repeating at the end of a test so that both options are on. Because of that some cards are repeated twice at the end of the test if they weren't answered correctly before.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, could you be a little more specific? It's supposed to repeat anything that's still due for a repeat at the end of the test - we don't want to fail to show you an incorrect card just because you ran out of other cards to look at - and to keep looping through the still-incorrect ones until you get them all right. Is it showing you the same card multiple times at the end of the test even when you get it correct?

Taichi

榜眼
I found two reader audio problems.
1. tap on a word , jump to the definition, the go back to reader. It sometimes plays the originally selected word, sometimes plays random word, occationally plays TTS which has no way to stop unless force quit pleco.

2. If I jump to the definition while playing tts, TTS keeps playing and there's no way to stop it.

Taichi

榜眼
I think what NomekSan meant (or at least I think more straightforward) is "during test" mode should automatically repeat incorrect cards when run out of card instead of promoting whether to review incorrect ones at the end of test.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - thanks. TTS interruptibility is something we're working on - we were trying to deal with some stability issues first but those seem to be resolved in 3.1.9.

@NomekSan - is that indeed what you meant? (if so then certainly fixable, yes)

Taichi

榜眼
I'm not sure if this is a new bug, but both search and reader doesn't match "有福同享,有难同当", "比上不足,比下有余", e.t.c.
If i remove "," they match correctly. This happens regardless of intelligent segmentation option.

Taichi

榜眼
It seems reader is buggy.
- copying selected text results in the clipboard filled with text from somewhere else.
- I often lose current reading position and have to manually scroll to find it.

giokve

进士
@Taichi - they shouldn't - if you find that they are then that's a bug so please let us know about it :)

So tapping on the dictionary switch button no longer works the way it used to? What about tap-holding?

Why not? Tap-holding is much slower, and dictionaries that do not have any entry for the card are not hidden from the list.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - that might indeed be a bug, yes - thanks. Are you sure the scrolling position loss is new in this release?

@giokve - sorry if that was unclear; I wasn't trying to imply that tap-holding was intended to replace (or that we considered it superior to) just tapping, I was simply trying to figure out whether the issue applied with that as well as with tapping.

Taichi

榜眼
I found a way to reproduce it.
First open a large txt file (about 3M)
Scroll to the middle of the text.
Tap an word to open a popup
go to home
open dictionary shortcut
go to home
open reader shortcut

Sometimes it shows popup of random word somewhere in the text, sometime it crashes(just sent a crash report)

NomekSan

举人
I think what NomekSan meant (or at least I think more straightforward) is "during test" mode should automatically repeat incorrect cards when run out of card instead of promoting whether to review incorrect ones at the end of test.

Yes, thats what I meant. Sorry for the late reply.
I thought it was supposed to be either retested at the end of the test or during the test.

It seems like both options are on at the end so that cards you got wrong near the end of the test will be repeated twice: one time after the 30 (or whatever) seconds after you got it wrong in the main test and one time in the repeating test at the end. I got cards repeated twice that way but I think the chance of this to happen is very low. I wasnÄt able to reproduce this since.