Pleco for Android 2.3.0 Bug Report Thread

benzhen

进士
It seems that the d-pad scrolling in the reader still does about half a page. was that going to be changed? thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
benzhen said:
It seems that the d-pad scrolling in the reader still does about half a page. was that going to be changed? thanks

We looked into it and it turned out that it's actually really really complicated to change that - have to override Android's normal handling of button presses in a way that mucks up a bunch of other things. So we left it as-is for now, though it remains an active bug / feature request and we'll certainly keep working on a solution.

quartzie

OCR issues

Updated info:
New version seems to work well on Xperia X10 Mini Pro with CM7 (codename U20i) with the sole exception of flash (turns on only for 1 second), but has problems on Xperia Ray (ST18i).
Tested the camera in Xperia Ray with forced Portrait and Landscape screen, manual camera orientation:
Generally the app seems to get the aspect ratio of the sensor wrong.

LIST FORMAT: Camera orientation; image-vs-screen rotation; Display area description

Landscape screen = image generally squeezed too narrow.
  • Default; OK; Squeezed to left half of screen
  • Default+90; CRASH
  • Default+180; CRASH
  • Default+270; CRASH
  • Natural; OK; Squeezed to left half of screen
  • Always 0; OK; Squeezed to left half of screen
  • Always 90; Rotated +90; Fullscreen, stretched along image vertical
  • Always 180; Rotated +180; Squeezed to left half of screen
  • Always 270; Rotated +270; Fullscreen, stretched along image vertical

Portrait screen = image generally stretched too wide.
  • Default; OK; Squeezed to top half of screen
  • Default+90; Rotated -90; Fullscreen, stretched along image horizontal
  • Default+180; CRASH
  • Default+270; CRASH
  • Natural; OK; Squeezed to top half of screen
  • Always 0; Rotated -90; Fullscreen, stretched along image horizontal
  • Always 90; OK; Squeezed to top half of screen
  • Always 180; Rotated +90; Fullscreen, stretched along image horizontal
  • Always 270; Rotated +180; Squeezed to top half of screen

On my Samsung Galaxy 7.7, when I use the task manager to switch from Pleco to another app and then back, the search box isn't highlighted.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: OCR issues

quartzie said:
Updated info:
New version seems to work well on Xperia X10 Mini Pro with CM7 (codename U20i) with the sole exception of flash (turns on only for 1 second), but has problems on Xperia Ray (ST18i).
Tested the camera in Xperia Ray with forced Portrait and Landscape screen, manual camera orientation:
Generally the app seems to get the aspect ratio of the sensor wrong.

Thanks - I just ordered one for our collection so hopefully we'll get this addressed soon. (nice to have a popular new phone that isn't a $700 import like the various Galaxies)

JimmyTheSaint said:
On my Samsung Galaxy 7.7, when I use the task manager to switch from Pleco to another app and then back, the search box isn't highlighted.

Hmm... is this running ICS or an older OS?

quartzie

mikelove said:
Thanks - I just ordered one for our collection so hopefully we'll get this addressed soon. (nice to have a popular new phone that isn't a $700 import like the various Galaxies)

AFAIK, Sony(-ericsson) even offers developers phone loans for debugging - you might want to check that our if you want to verify compatibility on other models.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

quartzie said:
AFAIK, Sony(-ericsson) even offers developers phone loans for debugging - you might want to check that our if you want to verify compatibility on other models.

Seems like it only offers their older devices at the moment, so wouldn't have helped here, but thanks for pointing me to it - might be useful if we run into any more bugs on the X10 models.

Alexis

状元
"Manage Registration" instructions seem to be outdated. After I clicked on "Restore Market Purchases" in the add-ons screen, I got a message referring me to non-existant menus (ie. clear registration data). It should probably only refer to the Settings->Manage Registration Menu.

Also, I was a bit puzzled by the meaning of "non-dict" (at least I assume the meaning of this would be puzzling for the new user) in the Bundle descriptions. Maybe a better name might be "Extensions" for the non-dictionary add-ons. In such a case, it may be clearer to group the add-ons in each tab under categories (ie. Bundles, Dictionaries, Extensions).

mikellove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:

HC 3.2. No ICS yet for the 7.7.This glitch is intermittent.

neilperks

进士
Mike,

Just installed the free version of Pleco on my Samsung Galaxy TAb 10.1, if you enable night mode then go into addins you cant read anything; it appears the text is black on black. Turning off night mode makes it ok.

Maybe not too good for a new user who wants to buy Pleco :-D.

Cheers

Neil

PS any news on pricing if I want to install Pleco on 2 devices?

JimmyTheSaint said:
mikellove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:

in fact, when using the tablet task switcher, it returns to Pleco's last context, not a new search.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
"Manage Registration" instructions seem to be outdated. After I clicked on "Restore Market Purchases" in the add-ons screen, I got a message referring me to non-existant menus (ie. clear registration data). It should probably only refer to the Settings->Manage Registration Menu.

Quite right - fixed now, thanks.

Alexis said:
Also, I was a bit puzzled by the meaning of "non-dict" (at least I assume the meaning of this would be puzzling for the new user) in the Bundle descriptions. Maybe a better name might be "Extensions" for the non-dictionary add-ons. In such a case, it may be clearer to group the add-ons in each tab under categories (ie. Bundles, Dictionaries, Extensions).

Good idea - we're already planning to restructure that when we launch our big batch of new dictionaries and that would be a nice way to do it.

JimmyTheSaint said:

Looks like a quirk of ICS' task-switching, actually - not sure how much we can do about it but we'll investigate whether there's any message unique to task-switching that we can latch on to.

neilperks said:
Just installed the free version of Pleco on my Samsung Galaxy TAb 10.1, if you enable night mode then go into addins you cant read anything; it appears the text is black on black. Turning off night mode makes it ok.

Fixed for 2.3.1, thanks!

neilperks said:
PS any news on pricing if I want to install Pleco on 2 devices?

Same as on one - you can do up to three on a single copy.

JimmyTheSaint said:
in fact, when using the tablet task switcher, it returns to Pleco's last context, not a new search.

That one I'm actually wondering whether we might want to keep - icon resets, task switch doesn't, or something like that.

mikelove said:
JimmyTheSaint said:

That one I'm actually wondering whether we might want to keep - icon resets, task switch doesn't, or something like that.

So it's not a bug, it's a feature? Keeping it this way might be best--I didn't realize that the icon would always provide a new search. After you pointed out in another thread that Pleco wouldn't preserve the context by design because that's what people demanded, I started appreciating that behavior too. Each has its advantages, but you said it couldn't be a user-selectable setting. This way the user can actually always select either behavior with an equal number of keystrokes. Come to think of it, why not have the two entry modes on Gingerbread, too?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
So it's not a bug, it's a feature? Keeping it this way might be best--I didn't realize that the icon would always provide a new search. After you pointed out in another thread that Pleco wouldn't preserve the context by design because that's what people demanded, I started appreciating that behavior too. Each has its advantages, but you said it couldn't be a user-selectable setting. This way the user can actually always select either behavior with an equal number of keystrokes. Come to think of it, why not have the two entry modes on Gingerbread, too?

Not really possible on Gingerbread AFAIK - with that the launcher has the same all-or-nothing problem. We might be able to create a separate launcher icon for one behavior, though, with the built-in icon invoking the other one - just not sure which to make the default, or which we even could.