Pleco Flashcards and Ankidroid Integration

Fox

秀才
I would like to continue using the Pleco flashcard system for individual characters and words, and continue to be able to add individual characters and words to my Pleco flashcard deck at the press of a button, while simultaneously being able to press the plus next to a sentence have it sent directly to Ankidroid in order to practice sentences in that format. In the current system, is that possible? In the settings, it seems to me that I'm forced to choose between either using Ankidroid or Pleco, but I might be misunderstanding the system.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That is how it works at the moment, yes - one system or the other. It's certainly possible for us to support both, but we're a bit worried about how confusing that might get - won't be obvious where your data is kept. Also, we're hard at work on our own cloze deletion feature, which would take away most of the justification for doing this.

Fox

秀才
That makes sense. Is there any chance that in the revised flashcard system could use Anki-style decks, with due counts displayed and the ability to begin one's study session of that deck just by clicking it? Currently, if I want to study multiple sets of cards, I need to go into "Card Categories," manually change which sets I want to study, then go back out, and press "Begin Test Session," at which point I finally see how many cards there are to study. A clean interface where I can have my words in one deck (with a number of subdecks) and my sentences in another, each displaying how many cards I can expect to study, and the test for each beginning simply upon tapping the deck name, would be more efficient, especially if the individual settings like "test reading/writing/speaking," "test type," and so forth could be saved to the individual decks. I want to test writing with individual words, for example, so having it set to alternate between showing the characters and showing pinyin + definition works well for that, but for sentences I would prefer to alternate between reading and listening. Currently that would be a lot of options to manually switch between each test session.

I don't know how hard any of this would be to implement, but I for one would find a lot of value in it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That should definitely be supported, yes - bit more flexible concept than 'decks' but you'd get the same effect of a couple of different types of thing to study with a home screen giving you a list of each with # of cards due etc.

But you don't need to reconfigure lots of options even now, just create two different profiles, one for sentences and one for words.