Pleco + Apple Pencil

etm001

状元
Hi,

I know Apple Pencil support is baked into iOS and the devices that support it. That said, I'm curious if any code was added/rewritten to better support the Apple Pencil (I'm thinking of 字 etc.) For example, a few popular note taking apps were recently updated and there was an apparent increase in (perceived) latency when using the Apple Pencil, etc.

Thanks!

Edit: fixed a big typo, meant to write "increase" not "decrease"

Shun

状元
Hi etm001,

I happen to have an iPad Pro with Pencil and found the latency to be very low when drawing characters, and also the refresh rate seems to be much higher than when using the finger. (resulting in more exact shapes) So it already works great! A well-programmed app like Pleco probably doesn't need any new code to support Pencil optimally (since pressure isn't involved), but let's see what Mike says.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, not yet enough iPad Pro's with Pencils in circulation to do much for the Pencil specifically, but maybe in a year or two.

dcarpent

榜眼
I agree with Shun. Apple Pencil works very well with Pleco now. I've noticed that the amount of latency can vary with different application, but I don't notice any with Pleco. I've been using Procreate alongside Pleco (split screen) for practicing writing characters and it works very well.