OCR -> flashcards enchancement suggestion

There is an extremely nice feature in "capture" OCR that allows to create a flashcard from selection, with all the fields except definition are filled in automatically.
The point is that one doesn't always know ahead that this specific phrase or sentence is to be added to flashcards. So you use a look-up mode and then realize that it would be good to have this phrase in a flashcard.
Currently the only way I have found is to switch to capture mode (loosing the paused excerpt in the process), and then proceed with capture->flashcard feature.

It would be great to have a possibility to switch to capture mode without having to "re-capture" the text.
A more complex enhancement, I guess, would be the ability to select the characters from the look-up screen itself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, which lookup mode are you referring to? You can pretty much always add a word to flashcards from OCR, just by tapping on the + button - which mode are you using now that isn't offering a flashcard option?

Sorry, which lookup mode are you referring to? You can pretty much always add a word to flashcards from OCR, just by tapping on the + button - which mode are you using now that isn't offering a flashcard option?
Hi Mike,
I see 4 modes:
1) Lookup Words (Box)
2) Lookup Words (Crosshairs)
3) Capture Text
4) Capture Flashcards
I usually use the 1st one (Box), with a second one it's somewhat harder to catch characters. When you select a character or word in the paused text, you can add it to the flashcards, but what do I do if I want to add a whole sentence or a part of it? I haven't found a way to extend selection to additional characters.

Thanks for your help
Genady

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you set Settings / OCR / Unknown flashcard to "Custom Card" instead of "Truncate," that will offer to create a custom card based on the entire captured text when you add a flashcard from OCR even in lookup mode.

If you set Settings / OCR / Unknown flashcard to "Custom Card" instead of "Truncate," that will offer to create a custom card based on the entire captured text when you add a flashcard from OCR even in lookup mode.

Thanks. That's a workaround.
If one want to add just a word, he would need to delete the extra. The most convenient would be to have either to allow a selection or have some on screen button to decide whether one wants a word or a full text.

Anyway, your suggestion is better than what I did before, going to capture mode.

Thanks Mike!

Sy

进士
I want to learn OCR and flashcard.i searched to come to here.
Please help...
I have 2 iPads ,one is ipad3 the other is iPad mini.
I used iPad3 to aim at 学术on paper. I got XUESHU WITH TONE MARKS
.CAN I GET TONE NUMBER? Also system learning science definition.

Then I used iPad mini to aim at 学术.i got 学术in orange color(not green)
With no pinyin and no define. Why?
Do I have to do some thing in iPad mini to work like my ipad3?
I bot the basic pkg.
How do I know what items I bot in the pkg? Before I bot ,I saw the items listed.
After I bought,that items are gone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For the sake of reliable re-importing, our system currently only exports tone numbers, not marks. This thread has some tips on how to convert them to tone marks online: http://plecoforums.com/threads/how-to-change-chinese-tones-signs-from-numbers-to-characters.5195/

Tap on the gear icon at the top of the OCR screen on your iPad, then select "Lookup Words" - that should give you the mode you want, looking up words by pointing at them.

You can see your list of purchased add-ons in the 'Installed' tab in Add-ons.