New cards bug on Limit by maximum unlearned

I seem to be experiencing a bug where when I start a new test, if 10 new cards are introduced, once that test is complete and I press "New test"
10 more new cards are introduced, even if I got all of the previous new cards wrong. This seems to be happening ad infinitum, and I'm surely well over my "max unlearned limit"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's actually normal - you'd want the limit to be 'per day' instead of total, otherwise if you get all of those cards right then by the default setting they're no longer 'unlearned' and hence would no longer count towards your limit.

I'm not following what you mean. I originally took this setting to mean that Pleco will make sure that you only ever have X number of unlearned cards in the pool at any one time, and won't introduce new cards until some of those X cross the threshold of being learned (for me it's correct 5 times in a row). If in a session you "learn" 4 cards, then next time Pleco will introduce 4 new cards and won't introduce more until some more cards cross the threshold, thus maintaining the X unlearned.

Yes, I was just looking at the manual just now, and the explanation seems to tie in with how I originally understood it. So, it shouldn't be introducing more new cards while I'm well over the unlearned limit.

I can reproduce it by studying through all of my backlog, and then changing the "maximum unlearned" limit until starting a new test introduces one new card, and then I study that one card and then do another new test... the expected behaviour would be that that one new card has now brought me up to my limit and there won't be any more new cards introduced, but the actual behaviour is that it introduces another new card, and then when I repeat it introduces another new card, and so on... I've tried it 15 times and it has introduced one new card 15 times in a row.

http://android.pleco.com/manual/310/flash.html#cardselection

scroll down (or search for) "Limit new cards" and read from there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure that answering them correctly once isn't putting them out of 'learned'? Again, if you just set 'by' to 'per day' instead of 'maximum unlearned' this won't be a problem, or you could set a higher threshold for 'learned' so that cards have to be answered correctly multiple times before they're 'learned.'

Are you sure that answering them correctly once isn't putting them out of 'learned'?

I'm not sure I've understood what you mean, I'm assuming that was a typo and you mean that there may have been some which were already on 4 in a row and answering it correctly pushed it into learned and hence made room for another new card to be introduced, but that doesn't explain the situation I've been experiencing...

In the scenario I described just now, each time I press New Test it shows exactly one brand new card, and then the session ends, and then when I press New Test again immediately after the previous session ended, it shows exactly one more brand new card.

I can even increase the unlearned limit by 1 and it will do the same, but introducing two new cards every time, if I increase it by one again and it will keep introducing three new cards etc.

Again, if you just set 'by' to 'per day' instead of 'maximum unlearned' this won't be a problem

I prefer the "limit by unlearned" because it keeps my pool manageable and will only give me more new cards once I'm ready for them.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you email us a backup of your flashcard database we can take a look - it could be an obscure bug (not a lot of people using this feature, or using it with “in a row”) or it could be there’s some subtle combination of settings that’s causing more new cards to be introduced.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Problem here comes from your card filter - “last reviewed” “not within” 24 hours. Unlearned card management works within the pool of cards that pass by your card filters - may seem a bit odd, but the alternative would be worse (add a filter but have cards that don’t pass through your filter nevertheless permanently occupy “unlearned” slots). Also one of the reasons we think “per day” is better since we don’t have that awkward question of how many “unlearned” cards count towards the total.

Anyway, if you turn off that filter it should work correctly.

Sorry, I must not have noticed the notification email so I've only just seen this. OK I'll turn off that filter and see what happens. Thanks

Problem here comes from your card filter - “last reviewed” “not within” 24 hours. Unlearned card management works within the pool of cards that pass by your card filters - may seem a bit odd, but the alternative would be worse (add a filter but have cards that don’t pass through your filter nevertheless permanently occupy “unlearned” slots). Also one of the reasons we think “per day” is better since we don’t have that awkward question of how many “unlearned” cards count towards the total.

Anyway, if you turn off that filter it should work correctly.