Measure Words

lmcjipo

榜眼
Does anyone know where I can get a list of Chinese "measure" words as well as what they are used for?

By "measure" words, I mean things like 辆 for cars, 位 for people, 条for things like pants, 件 for things like shirts, etc.

I tried looking for an easy way of looking this up in PlecoDict but PlecoDict wasn't really made for this (a chart with the measure words) since it is more of a dictionary.

chao-ren

进士
Hello ... Do you happen to have a copy of a dictionary called:
English-Chinese Pinyin Dictionary by NEW WORLD PRESS (BEIJING, CHINA) ?

If so there is an excellent Table of Measure Words in Appendix 4 or pg 1682..汉语量词表 to page 1698 and in the alphabetical order of the equivalent English nouns!! How about that?

If my guess is correct this New World Press Dictionary is one of the many dictionaries available in electronic form through "Pleco-Dict". If so how come Pleco does not include appendix 4? Mike? Maybe I got the wrong dicitionary of New World Press..

lmcjipo

榜眼
chao-ren said:
If my guess is correct this New World Press Dictionary is one of the many dictionaries available in electronic form through "Pleco-Dict". If so how come Pleco does not include appendix 4? Mike? Maybe I got the wrong dicitionary of New World Press..

Mike, any ideas/comments on this?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We haven't really converted any of our dictionaries' appendices yet, we have license rights to most of them but a lot of it seemed like duplicated or difficult-to-display-on-a-PDA material. But I don't remember seeing that particular appendix in the version of the NWP that we licensed... could have just missed it, though. Anyway, it's mainly an interface issue, we not only have to convert this data to use in PlecoDict but also have to come up with a way of making it accessible to users (which means lots of extra programming), so that's why we haven't done so as yet.